CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Ichiban Cuisine: The Metn Welcomes a Decent Japanese Restaurant
Ichiban: Sushi Rolls with a Lebanese Inspiration
Ichiban has launched a new section and it's good: Rice-free rolls. An innovation which combines fresh ingredients together without the sticky structure. I personally loved them and hope you'll do to.
Each roll is unique in its shape and design. Your appetite will be peaked the minute they land in front of you with their beautiful colors and shapes that will keep you wondering what awaits.
To be honest, the first impression may seem bizarre. We are used to eating rice, chewing rice, feeling a certain texture, which is imprinted in our heads of what a sushi roll should be like. Try having rolls without rice, just two of them, and then try a normal one and believe me you will notice as soon as rice touches your palate. I’m not saying that I won’t be eating rolls with rice, I’m just preparing you for something different that might be awkward the first time you try it.
Mexico with jalapeños, chicken and curry. Fish and chips, rock tempura, quinoa shrimps, orange and salmon, bizri fish caviar, tarator, edamame in a roll, feta cheese, Parmesan… or the crispy crazy without rice…
Enjoying the rice-free Maki rolls:
- Lychee eel: A combination of eggplant, lychee and eel with cabayaki sauce. Soft, tender and smooth on the palate. Rich sauce, nice smooth texture, lightly sweet flavor. Looks beautiful and tastes good.
- Duo eel: The ingredients are carefully chosen. Eel, mango, salmon, avocado and crazy mix. Fresh ingredients, smoothness, light sweetness, interesting textures and the lightness of the fish felt on every taste bud
- Crazy Ichiban: The crisp, crunching around, a crazy crab mix inside, soft avocado and Tobico with a thin slice of avocado. Simple yet great. Tobico exploding under the teeth adds an enjoyable texture and fun experience.
- Spicy maguro: Tuna, avocado, jalapeños, Philadelphia cheese. A strong spiciness, but smoothness redefined.
- Crispy salmon: Nori leaves, avocado and salmon with a mayonnaise sauce... No rice. You'll love it.
- Sultan tabbouleh: Wait, take a deep breath and prepare yourself to try something new; a Lebanese creation. Lemony fresh flavor, rich sultan fish wrapping. That's super new and good.
- Greek fusion: Raspberry, eggplant, breaded feta. The different textures, chewiness of the feta, sweetness of the cover, great.
- Quinoa shrimp: Aroma of shrimp, red quinoa, ginger sauce, avocado. Very nice flavors, like a salad in a roll, and a generous portion of shrimp.
- Teriyaki salmon skin: Crunchy, sweet, cooked salmon, salmon skin and teriyaki sauce. Super grilled, over crunchy, extremely sweet and wow! It is an extreme of everything and it's just right.
I was shocked the first time I had them, but since that day my perception of sushi changed completely. They are a must try if you love fish, real fish and unique flavors. Remember that the fulfilling rice is no longer around, so the experience is completely different on all levels.