From the minute you walk in to the second you leave, the series of events happening make of your experience a memorable one you'll surely be talking about to all your friends. A restaurant by the famous "Jean-Georges" starred three times at the Michelin Guide, handled by the most professional staff one would imagine meeting at a restaurant set in a beautiful decor and offering a superb menu. Everything is special...
Three connected restaurants under one roof have access to each other from one single door. ABC Cocina the Mexican, the ABC Kitchen I'm having dinner at and ABC V for vegetarian and ABC Market.
Dimmed lights under an old wooden ceiling, a floor covered with wood parquet , thick column supporting the structure, sober painting add touches of colors to the walls and chandeliers pending here and there making is this space a classy and relaxing one. I heard a lot about ABC Kitchen and understood the hype around it the minute I pushed the door in.
Candles lit every table and much more ban that. Every single item used has been carefully chosen from an artisan producer nearby. From the plates to the presentation bowls, every single item has an added value and supports a local producer. On the backside of the menu, you can read about the list of ingredients and food with the origin of each.
I felt good the minute I walked in. The service is exceptionally professional, the staff is welcoming and attentive making sure not a single detail is left unattended. I preferred the staff at ABC Kitchen from the three stars restaurant up at Central Park. In here, they're all young but sharp!
On the menu is a complicated choice of farm oriented items. Intriguing and different than any other restaurant I've been to. Complicated yet innovative and interesting to order.
Dinner starts with bread, real sourdough bread, soft, moist, very aromatic, enjoyably chewy and rich with flavors that stay around the palate for long.
Food is out of this world... this is a restaurant deserving a star!
- A pizza that's more aromatic than a perfume landed on our table. The aromas of freshness, of what real cuisine should be. Small sized pizza that's lighter than feather. A thin and hard crust, a fluffy border, cooked spinach and hot ricotta to cover it. Take a bite and start dreaming. The aromas take you by shock, the flavors make your heart skip a beat and he spiciness is like nothing I've felt before. The salt inside makes it even better. Oh my goodness this is not simply food; that's a dream.
- Do you think you know what portobello mushroom is all about? Think again! I shouted when I tasted that perfected simplicity. A simple portobello cooked to make all your senses scream. A juicy mushroom, enjoyable sea salt, lemony spinach on top.
- Ricotta cheese, as simple as it is becomes a masterpiece when mixing it with rhubarb and olive oil. A round plate and on it ricotta like we serve Labneh and topped with a sweet rhubarb compote and olive oil. Majestic!
Waiters deserve a line: hand behind their back, attentive to every detail, asking about every single plate, following on the glasses levels and making sure not a plate or a fork is left unattended. Two thumbs up for your professionalism.
- Roasted hake, enjoyably crunchy, not oily and loaded with flavors. And the best part is its texture. Not eatery, firm, well prepared fish with shitaki mushrooms and asparagus purée. Yummy! I think I'll recognize ABC Kitchen food even if blinded. They have a certain spiciness and after note that has been following me since the beginning.
- The angel hair spaghetti described to be amazing with their jalapeños and saffron needed much more police oil and salt which this restaurant is known for. I felt salt everywhere, why has it disappeared from this place? It's good enough but probably expected better.
Wait! Is this happening? The waitress apologized for leaving, said goodbye and introduced another waiter who will be taking care of us for the rest of the evening. I've been dining for thousands of times for the last years and his is the first time an act of professionalism of this level happens. The way it's done the professionalism and most importantly how genuine it is.
Food was exceptional... desserts outstanding!
Salted caramel ice cream with caramelized popcorn. A superb caramel ice cream topped with lightly crunchy popcorn on a bed of dark chocolate syrup and an end note of saltiness. This is not real! This is not a human creation. Fluffy puff pastry cake with buttermilk ginger ice cream and rhubarb strawberry. Bravo!
A light music playing in the background, a superb service, an exceptional attention, outstanding food... ABC Kitchen is my favorite restaurant to date in New York. A recommendation, a flawless experience.