A few meters from our hotel is a small restaurant. We'd heard good things about it and decided to give it a try. Cozy and calm, this bistro welcomes you for dinner since almost all restaurants in Bruges close at night.
A few tables for outside seating, windows illuminate the interior, lamps lighting up the tables in a restaurant that's small and relaxing. A square space with dimmed lighting, a bar and a chimney with a classical music playing in the background.
A bistro serving a selection of cold starters, hot starters, mussels, grilled meat, regional platters, fish, seasonal platters, a vegetarian selection, kids' meals and desserts. The good thing is that the menu is printed in French and English as well as Spanish.
I ordered the jambonneau, which is ham on the bone, with Brussels sprouts and a Dijon mustard sauce and to start, the Flemish farmers pâté with fig jam on toast, cheese croquettes with old Bruges cheese and vol au vent of puff pastry.
The first impression was very good. The waiter was welcoming and spoke perfect French. As we ordered, each of us was handed our knife of choice.
Dinner started with a basket of fresh baguettes cut in slices and local butter. I loved the bread.
- Cheese croquettes: A plate where two big pieces of cheese croquette are served with a side salad. A crunchy border and a melting heart. A bit oily, but tasty. It's a local specialty everyone tries to perfect.
- Vol au vent: A loaded plate of chicken, cream and puff pastry, the main ingredient of the vol au vent. With that comes a plate of fries. Very well seasoned with a gentle lemony after note, I enjoyed this dish and loved the juiciness of the mushrooms. A lovely plate.
- A plate of pâté. Thin slices of toasted bread served with thick chunks of pâté and a jam on the side. Sweet and savory, the combination of perfect especially with the peppery after note. A good choice if you like pâté.
Worth mentioning: They have a homemade mayonnaise made with egg yolks, olive oil and mustard. It has a nice consistency, like a sauce, and has a bold yellow color. Don't miss it.
I enjoy pork meat and this is one to try. A well cooked chunk of ham around its bone served with a sauce and Brussel sprouts on the side. A tender meat I really appreciated. A dinner I'll remember.
- The chairs are uncomfortable. You'll feel like you're sitting on a piece of wood. I left with backache.
- They don't take credit cards. Have cash on you.
Change the chairs, accept credit cards, and I’ll be back for sure.