What an innovative concept! Boco is the plural of Bocal, which means 'the jars'. A restaurant selling almost everything in jars, fine dining portions prepared by master chefs.
This concept has been developed by some intelligent and visionary people and it's unique on all fronts. If Pret a Manger is innovative, this one is outstanding and even more innovative. The idea is simple, buy your jar which is filled with high quality and flavorful offerings by famous and renowned chefs. Enjoy a meal with a smile, that's healthy and unique and for only €10.
Boco is first of all a neighborhood Parisian bistrot, where you can enjoy sitting down for a moment, grabbing a bite to eat, having a drink on your own, with a date or with a great group of friends.
Choose your favorite cravings and reach the bar. Your food is heated, you can buy a slice of bread, add a soft drink and continue to be seated. Every jar is made of heat proof glass and stamped with all the ingredients used to create the recipe.
Words are not enough to express my admiration for a casual diner that made great food accessible. I'm sure this idea is going to rock the world soon.
The food is outstanding, probably the best things I've had at a fast casual lunch escape:
- Tiramisu tomatoes and celery (Emanuel Renault): What the freaking f...! As simple as it is, this layered jar of tomato mousse and cheese is a dream. A honey bread topped with a cream of cheese and an intense and acidic tomato sauce. The layers of enjoyment in a jar! Unbelievable.
- Salad of shrimp and sliced and caramelized apples (Vincent Ferniot): Fine dining, really unbelievable. I never expected to eat something that good in a jar. Sliced apples and fennel with radish and lemon juice. The flavors and textures, this sweetness and the explosions of juiciness... In a glass jar!
- Quinoa salad (Emmanuel Renault): Well cooked quinoa with orange slices. Combined they make a delicious salad. A zest of lemon is missing.
- Penne a la "bolo qui tue" (Vincent Ferniot): Excellent, simply excellent. Oh my gosh! Simply penne with ragu, cooked al dente, served in a jar, heated to perfection and enjoyed on the go. Oh man!
- Ragout d'agneau de la Benichon, celery purée (Stephane Decotterd): It's when my eyes watered, it's when I cried, it's when my heart couldn't take anymore. It's where I fell in love with a restaurant, a fast food concept, an invention that will bypass Pret a Manger soon. Purée, tender meat, lemon, olive oil, acidity, finesse and equilibrium. That's star chef quality.
Things to look or for:
- Baba au Rhum in a jar.
- Air dried apple crisps.
- Panettone cake in a jar!
- Wine served in glass jugs.
I was amazed! Dessert followed, apricot compote, calisson cream and Chou. An entering way to end up your meal.
It's simple, it's beautiful and most importantly it's tasty. Ten locations in Europe already and I'm sure it's coming towards you soon.