CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Time to Try the Casper & Gambini's Version of the Cronut (Discontinued)
Do You Know What Happened to Casper?
Casper & Gambini's AUB: A Stand-Alone Restaurant
Sushi at Casper & Gambini's: Seriously?
Casper&Gambini's: The Comeback!
Breakfast at Casper&Gambini's ABC Achrafieh
Casper & Gambini's: Delivering Breakfast to the Office
Lunch with the Kids at Casper ABC Dbayeh
The whole new setup has been around a while. I just got the chance to check it out.
With a new decor comes a new menu at the most visited restaurant in ABC Dbayeh. What has become a popular meeting point under the an atrium, Casper&Gambini's offers a fresh selection salad bar, breakfast, soups and salads, pasta, main plates, sandwiches and burgers, sushi and dessert. I think that with the new approach on design and menu, sushi blends in better.
C&G has improved and no one can deny it. New items, new decor, new dress codes for waiters and better produced food.
The decor is nice. Located in the heart of ABC Dbayeh you'll easily spot the wood atrium, mirrors here and there that makes the place look bigger and more spacious, Chesterfield relaxing sofas, grey tables, comfortable chairs, octagonal tiles in some parts and wood flooring in others... it's unique and attractive in many ways.
The menu proposes eggs Benedict for breakfast, salmon bagels and traditional Labneh. Starters and sides orders inspired by Italian and French cuisine, homemade soups have a section of their own, 12 salads, some homemade specials of fish, chicken and veal, four homemade pastas, bread and spreads which I already tried and recommend, six burgers and five kinds of pizzas, two Japanese salads, 16 Makis simple and straight to the point, and not to mention their large selection of desserts.
Lunch is served:
- 12 pieces of maki presented in a rectangular plate that seemed freshly made. Makis covered with crunchy crisps, rolled meticulously, filled with fresh fish, juicy mayonnaise for the flavor, warm when it should be, lightly sweet or spicy if needed and he mango is tender and flavorful. I loved them and was honestly not expecting it. The size is adequate and they tasted good; better than all other cafes in town insisting to serve sushi.
- Truffled thick golden potato fries sprinkled with grated mozzarella cheese and socked in truffle oil. Good enough for lunch, it would have been better if the potatoes were smaller, more cheese was added and a bit more truffle. Cream can add value.
- Three mini sliders, three different flavors, Mediterranean with halloumi cheese, classic with provolone cheese and Mexican with avocado, Emmental and mango. The bread I had at C&G was spot on. They were tender and airy bread, juicy patty and flavorful ingredients.
- Figs and chavignol crostini: Fresh tangy goat cheese set on caramelized apple and surrounded crispy fresh greens tossed with walnuts, pine it's and balsamic vinegar.
- It was already one in the afternoon and I could have some eggs Benedict. We asked for salmon instead of turkey, two eggs served on an English muffin, topped with spinach and covered with Hollandaise sauce. The eggs were a bit overcooked, and a bit too salty but the sauce and bread were good. With a bit of improvement this plate can be recommended.
The pluses: Good food, good sushi, a clear improvement.
- There's a lack of training somewhere. It was clear. Please smile, focus and attend better to tables...
- I thought we passed the "photos are not allowed" stage a long time ago! Staff should be aware of it!
- Why are there ashtrays with cigarette support when smoking is not allowed?
Good food, good mood, nice setup and positive vibes. I'll come back.