It has sincerely been a while since I had had a good decent meal outside the house... I often avoid invitations by friends and plans and what not only because I go with something in mind and then experience something that was not at all what I had imagining. Reading Anthony's review about the newly opened Coquelicot in Gemmayze I was driven to go and try out the French Bistro. And boy was I happy I did!
Coquelicot is a French Bistro, a cozy place that's welcoming in many ways. The staff - from the waiters to the managers each welcome my three girlfriends. As we sat down, we were served water and asked what we would like to drink. A glass of white wine was a perfect choice for the night. I wish it stayed at one glass. It was generously refilled after every sip...
We came hungry and wanted to try everything on the menu. Before I start, I must insist that for me the experience meant - sophistication redefined in my books. Every bite of the below was tasty and rich... They know what they are talking about.
That night we ordered:For starters:
- Crevettes au Sesame: My goodness. I cant tell you how much I loved this plate. Crunchy, dipped in its sweet sauce... Perfect
- Carpaccio Loup de Mer: Loved it...
- Tartare de Boef: A bit too spicy for my taste, but I was told that this is the way to eat it
- Salade de Crabe: Simple yet tasty. Super presentation
- Salade Endive Roquefort: The taste is impeccable, sweet and not at all bitter as often experienced in other places. The mango pieces add a perfect touch
- Poulet au Citron
- Canard a L'orange: My absolute favorite. I love duck... this was covered in rich orange sauce, every bite was tender and amazingly rich in taste.
- Risotto Au Citron: Just right
- Tagliatelle aux Ceppes: Very tasty, not dry and rich in flavor
- Foie Cras Poele au Pomme: I can't even describe this. I can still taste it. Every bite enjoyed with a piece of cooked apple...
I couldn't help much on all the side orders that included crisp potato rounds and sautéed mushrooms, which could have been a bit less dry.
For dessert: All to die for...
- Fondant au Chocolat Nutella
- Apple Crumble
- Pain Perdu
- Cheese cake
I really enjoyed my evening and would definitely visit again soon.