Fifties’ is your traditional American diner in the heart of Tripoli. I’ve been here in 2014 and now back, to check on the updates. The place feels like the diners of USA Route 66. Lounges, stainless steel chairs, leather sofas and the main drinks bar as seen in American movies.
Walk into a big wide space painted in orange and decorated with a hundred signs. A petrol station unit, a delivery motorcycle, and some Andy Warhol designs. It feels good to be here and a bit awkward in Tripoli; Beirut needs an American diner like this one when Crepaway and Roadster tuned into casual eateries.
On the menu, Fifties’ has it all. Breakfast, appetizers, soup and salads, sandwiches, skinny sides, burger bar, pasta, pizza, main platters, shakes and desserts. Fifties’ opens at eight AM until late night.
Flavors of America in Tripoli: I loved the food!
- A cheesy Mac n’ cheese and a loaded portion decorated with slices of pepperoni. Pasta mixed with molten yellow cheese. I enjoyed the pasta quality and cooking time, the cheese softness and smooth acidic finish.
- Potato skins, fried to perfection, grilled to a crunch, covered with cheddar cheese and mixed with bacon chips. Dip in the ranch sauce and enjoy. I loved it, and I miss so much having diner food in Lebanon when everyone is turning into complicating things.
- The fries deserve a line: very good quality fries that do not look or taste like local ones do.
- Medium rare, the big piece of meat is excellent. Grilled on the outside, red on the inside without a single drop of red juice, the meat is tender and enjoyable. Add some pepper sauce and double your pleasure.
- The Philly steak, despite its strong saltiness, is good. A tender bun, tender slices of meat and a load of sauce.
- Unfortunately, the burger is bad! Too different from the other items on the menu. That burger tastes like Lebanese Kafta meat, over spiced and over salty. I could eat more than a bite; I’ll look into the patty recipe soon.
- Fish and chips, as good as many I’ve had abroad and way better than half the local ones. I enjoyed the crunch, the moist heart, the side sauce, and thick chips. Bravo!
All good, a great service, nice vibes, and delicious food. That’s a place I’ll come back to again and support asking you to visit.