What the hell is happening to McDonald's in Lebanon? One of my favorite fast food chains worldwide has really gone down the drain in this country. McDonald's worldwide is tasty, fresh, clean, professional, efficient and more importantly fast. Sadly I can't say the same at all about McDonald's Lebanon.
If you have tried McDonald's in any other country whether in the US or in Europe, you will understand my frustration. People around the world crave McDonald's, but in Lebanon we have to think twice before choosing to eat there. Unfortunately they are not following the international franchise standards - they have honestly lost all credits, in my book, that makes them credible to carry this international name.
"Mc. Donald's: I'm loving it" A slogan that doesn't apply in Lebanon at all, unfortunately - so please McDonald's international step in, intervene and help elevate the name and service in Lebanon.
After talking about the burger's shape, the fact that it looks nothing like the picture; after reviewing their inefficient speed of service and cleanliness of the restaurant; after complaining that the fries and burgers have become disgusting... Now is the time to say it out loud:
McDonald's Lebanon is a place to avoid.
The restaurants around the country:
- The staff, or should I say the kids, are unprofessional, unpleasant to speak with, dirty looking, impolite, never smiling and very forgetful
- The restaurants always look dirty
- The service is extremely slow (isn't it a fast-food chain?)
- They never give wet wipes with the delivery orders
- They ask you if you want large fries and large Coke but give you a large box of fries half empty and a cup half filled with your chosen beverage
- They always forget some of the orders - always!
- Burgers are very badly served. A mix of ingredients that sometimes don't look like a burger.
- Fries, something I crave for, are always undercooked and very oily, they are over salted and sticking together and always served cold. Their color is not even golden yellow: often times it's white. I've been dreaming of eating the crunchy crispy fries at McDonald's Lebanon for the last five years or so with no success.
- The burger's bun is never fresh, always cooked a couple of days earlier. It flakes off before reaching your mouth.
- Every burger has a microwavable feel to it. A bun that becomes inedible and hard if you don't eat it instantly.
- Diet Coke, which used to be my favorite at McDonald's is simply sweet water. Nothing like a Diet Coke.
- Filet-O-Fish is always served with its cheese half outside the bun and the overdose of tartar not even in the middle of the burger. The fish is too oily and you can taste burnt oil. It smells fishy: not the good one of course. (The Filet-O-Fish contains a battered fish patty made mostly from whitefish, a slice of processed cheese and 30ml of tartar sauce. Currently in the UK, however, new operational procedures in practice have reduced the amount of sauce to 20ml of tartar sauce and fillets are no longer salted. The tartar sauce is made with dill relish and seasoning on a steamed bun)
Let's discuss the McFlurry:
McFlurry: The McFlurry is a soft-serve ice cream dessert, that has pieces of candy or cookies mixed into it. The flavors are crushed Oreo, M&M's Minis, Mars, Incorporated candy bars like Snickers, Twix, Galaxy etc. Cadbury's candy bars like Twirl, Wispa, Creme Egg, Crunchie etc. Nestlé candy bars like Yorkie, Smarties, Drifter, Rolo, Butterfinger, Kellogs Hello Kitty Snacks, Phillies etc. McDonald's also does limited time only flavors e.g. for Shrek 3 it released the Ogre-Load flavor. In Australia they had a special range for their 40 years in Australia cerebration the flavors were double choc fudge, bubblegum squash, strawberry crumble and caramel cookie. Also in Malaysia a unique flavor called FuseofmyLife is offered to customers. The mixing blade for the dessert is actually a specially designed spoon with a hollow handle that attaches to the mixer spindle. The blade is used once then given to the customer to use to eat the product.
- More than 35 flavors available worldwide... In Lebanon we only have two of them - Oreo and Kit-Kat which has not been changed or added to in the last decade.
- Half the time the ice cream is not mixed - so you receive the ice-cream topped with some crunchy Oreo. That's simply the staff being lazy.
- Most of the time the ice-cream is served melted, not to say watery.
- The taste is different than the European one. To be precise there is no taste.
- Most of the time the cup is sticky and dirty with a spoon you cannot even touch as much as it is feels gluey
I can go on and on and talk more about the details that make this franchise a total disaster in Lebanon. It has become inedible. None of my friends have anything positive to say about McDonald's... I don't understand how they are they still surviving - or should I say, still carry the franchise.
You only have to taste those burgers outside of Lebanon just once to understand what I mean. I enjoy them in Paris so much that it's a must stop-over for me during every trip.
Please, please, please... McDonald's worldwide! We need your help! Last week was my last and final visit to McDonald's Dora and other branches in Lebanon. I'm sorry.
McDonald's Corporation is the world's largest chain of hamburger fast food restaurants, serving around 68 million customers daily in 119 countries. Headquartered in the United States, the company began in 1940 as a barbecue restaurant operated by Richard and Maurice McDonald; in 1948 they reorganized their business as a hamburger stand using production line principles. Businessman Ray Kroc joined the company as a franchise agent in 1955. He subsequently purchased the chain from the McDonald brothers and oversaw its worldwide growth.
Suitable For: Big Belly Boys