Michael's New York is an upscale restaurant located in Uptown and opens early for breakfast. While searching online, Michael's New York was mentioned as part of the best breakfasts in New York and is one of the most renowned places around this part of the city. Different from all the other places I tried before, the place was already full at nine in the morning with business people all suited up. I didn't like the smell of the place, nor the vibes...
It's a big room with a bar and a handful of tables. A few paintings add color to the walls. It seems like a fine dining restaurant handled by badly trained staff that lack class and finesse.
There's a manager, in a suit, that walks around making sure everything is handled professionally. Round tables with flowers, salt and pepper mills, sugar and milk on pure white tablecloth.
The first impression:
- One of the first times I felt forced to have a mineral water bottle to boost up the bill.
- The waiters' clothes are old. They wear sneakers with pink shirts and ties.
- There is a bad smell that accompanies you while heaving breakfast.
- There's a negative vibe that haunts the place; felt like leaving before even coming in.
The menu choices: Eggs any style, Gravlax, Bagels, Pancakes, Eggs Benedict, NY Power Breakfast, Vegetable Frittata, cereals and yogurt, fruit salad and sides. A California omelette is their signature and served with mushrooms and sour cream.
The food is bad, really bad, badly presented and lacking any kind of flavor!
- Egg white with a bad smell and no taste served with toast on the side and spinach. The most meaningless plate I've ever seen for breakfast. The smell is very unpleasant.
- Bagel with salmon on the side and sour cream. Do it yourself kind of way. Bagel? Lol! It's a bread baguette with a hole in the middle. And the salmon leaves a bizarre after taste in the mouth.
- The pancakes are huge, loaded with very hot blueberry Marmelade that's sour and acidic. It needs to be sweet! I added maple syrup but it didn't make any difference.
The cheque took fifteen minutes to arrive... $93 for such a disastrous experience?! It's a shame and a pity to leave food on the plate uneaten and have no one ask the reason why!
Nothing else can be said. Overrated, unpleasant, very expensive and the food is way below average.