After enjoying the several Armani Ristorante and Caffee in Milano, Dubai, Istanbul and Paris, it was time to experience the one in New York. The Armani Restaurant located on 5th and 56th facing the Trump Tower, welcomes you on the third floor of the Armani boutique. With a beautiful view onto the streets of busy New York, I sat by the window to enjoy my meal and experience.
Black on black is the decor! Armani style with black floors and a black ceiling, black chairs and black tables with a white top. Italian is the menu - from spaghetti to risotto, burrata and calamari, tagliatelle and gnocchi among others. I ordered their signature spaghetti and recommended risotto Milanese.
Spaghetti risottati with sea urchins and lemon. Risotto Milanese.
I wasn't expecting a fine restaurant but more of a cafe like the one in Paris. Lunch starts with a mise en bouche - white asparagus and ricotta cheese decorated with black pepper and a basket of fine Italian bread baked in house loaded with Parmesan cheese and olive oil.
Lunch is served:
- Calamaro: grilled asparagus with grilled calamaro and baby octopus presented on a bed of grapefruit and sea beans. Served warm, the plate is beautifully decorated, a balance of texture and colors with some olive oil to add the Italian touch.
- A beautiful burrata, the real creamy burrata presented on sliced radish and grilled eggplant. It's Italian food with a certain finesse. Eggplant added the required flavor.
- Risotto Milanese: a fine rice cooked al dente, a beautifully decorated plate with mushrooms and colorful vegetables, nice presentation, class and a load of flavor. The Italian know how is clear but again more flavors needed.
- Spaghetti cooked al dente and presented on a black plate. Unfortunately it lacked any flavor. I didn't taste anything! It is an unlikely sensation at an Italian restaurant.
- The placemats look over-used and need an urgent change.
- Food dropped on the table was left without the effort of cleaning it.
- The lack of attention to details is clear.
- Loud music coming from the boutique is disturbing while trying to enjoy an Italian meal.
- I was disappointed by the food, I didn't feel like ordering desserts.
- Our waiter left in the middle of his service without passing the job to another. We didn't know who to call.
- The food lacks flavor!
I expected better Italian food and better Italian flavors. I came here to be amazed, but left with only a bland sensation. Armani Milano is a million times better.