A burger on the grill, music, a busy cash machine, dozens of people going in and out... I felt like I was in New York City.
Down in the heart of Bourj Hammoud, you really can't miss this burger joint shop. Occupying a busy street corner, the wooden high tables and black facade will catch your attention as you walk through the Armenian neighborhood.
I've heard a lot about Burger Bar and I admit that it took me some time to come and review it. The first impression was great. This place hosts a certain positive energy that opens your appetite at a glance.
Walk towards the counter and order your favorites: Burgers, salads, appetizers, sub sandwiches, chicken breasts, spicy chicken breasts and beverages.
A cozy and beautifully decorated place:
- Facing the entrance is the long counter where an open kitchen prepares the orders
- Wood covers the floor
- The restaurant is filled with light colored wooden tables
- Jars of pickles add a touch of green to the place
- Black, is a color that fits perfectly in here
- Bricks from different colors decorate the walls
The burger section is divided into two distinct columns, 140 grams meat and chicken.
As an intro, we had a selection of three choices:
- Burger Bar Burger LBP7,000: Grilled beef patty with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, avocado slices, lettuce, pickles and mild Burger Bar sauce
- Mozzarella Beef Burger LBP7,500: Grilled beef patty with breaded, fried mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles and burger bar sauce
- Swiss Mushroom LBP6,500: Grilled beef patty with melted Swiss cheese and creamy mushroom sauce
A quick note: I'd prefer not to describe each burger on its own, but will give you general feedback. I liked the burgers, but would change some details to make them perfect. To start with, I loved the reasonable prices, make sure to remember that while eating. I think that Burger Bar has the cheapest burger, and maybe the best burger for its price, in the street food category.
Now for the burger:
The first impression is amazing. Beautiful looking, perfectly round burgers with all layers clear to see, one on top of the other. A bun sprinkled with sesame seeds, shaped like half a circle with a wooden stick stuffed in this middle. Inside, the sauces are good, the meat is thick, the vegetables fresh and the mozzarella chunk adequately fried and oil-free. The mushroom mix if well cooked and the pickles are awesome.
Tasting the burger:
It starts with the bun, which has an unpleasant chewy feel. It's more of a French baguette transformed into a bun. Too fluffy and sticky. I always compare to Prunelle's buns, which I consider perfect, this one adds a texture to the burger, something you don't want to have. A brioche bun with a milky flavor and a sweet aftertaste... In my opinion, it doesn't fit the concept. The sauces are very good, but there's too much, they hide the real taste of the meat, which feels and tastes commercial. Many love it, like the one served at Classic Burger Joint, but I look for more flavors and less additives in my meat. For someone who fire grills the meat, I didn't feel any of those flavors a grill offers. The Swiss mushroom is so generously filled, but it lacks juiciness, it needs more sauce, more melting cheese; that's a dry burger. The best of all is the signature Burger Bar Burger, with its spiciness and grilled bacon, but again the bun and meat could be better... Should be better.
I hope you'll understand what I mean: It's a great street food burger considering its size and price despite its little imperfections.
How I see it:
- I'd change the bun, make the envelop less chewy and maybe, empty its heart and surely make its bottom thinner. Look at its proportions, the bun is almost as thick as all the ingredients combined
- I'd use less additives in the meat, making it taste more meaty, more strongly of the grill and with the texture of ground beef.
- The Swiss definitely needs more sauce, it should be watery
- Angus beef is a must, even if the price has to be slightly increased
- I loved the place's spirit and positive vibes
- The burgers are served in a baskets with fries and a tiny portion of coleslaw
- The fries are very tasty
- The prices are shockingly low and value for money is top
- I loved the service and attention to details
- Premium ingredients are used in here; it's clear
- Every time you approach the counter, you'll have to wait for couple minutes while the cashier finishes her phone calls. A cashier can't handle delivery orders and customers at the same time. She is overwhelmed and stressed, doeans't smile and always in a hurry to finish the orders. Get a dedicated operator.
- I loved the coleslaw; can the portion be bigger?
I believe this place has a bright future if the imperfections are fixed.