Summers pass by so quickly that I tend to skip things, postpone them from one year to the next... I was mad at myself not visiting Soumaya's little heaven up in Faqra, on the roundabout next to the bicycle shop. This year I got it done.
It's not a restaurant, not a cafe, and surely not your average kind of place. Soumaya welcomes you into a place she calls home with a big smile and positive energy, a coffee place where smiles, fresh juices and wholesome nutrition meet the athletic world.
It was eight, the wind was blowing strong, the sun was invading the land and Soumaya was waking up to fun. In her little Coffee Cycle shop she welcomes you from sunrise to sunset and always aims to put a smile on your face. You can order a selection of coffee and three sandwiches as well as her Bread Basket Square collection. Locally smoked fish, fried organic egg and Halloumi Kaak.
On the terrace overlooking the land and the highway, Coffee Cycle is made up of round wooden tables, a big bench and a bar where everything is prepared. Lavender jars decorate the tables, metallic pots host the sugar, wood banners displaying the menu... It's so nice in here...
While walking around I couldn't but grab one of those chocolate rolls. Dark chocolate rolls of wonder. A kind of flaky puff pastry rye flour roll with chips of dark chocolate. Hot, they simply rock. I discovered them in Tripoli last time I went to Souraya and couldn't stop thinking about them since. I was happy and prepared to be amazed.
I ordered it all!
- Kaak made of spelt flour stuffed with halloumi cheese and sprinkled with sesame. Cherry tomatoes cut in half add this interesting juiciness and sweetness to make out a simple "allita" a kaaka of dreams. So juicy, so fresh and so tender generously filled and exciting. I loved it!
- Organic granola made by Bread Basket, yogurt, grape syrup, plums, nectarine... That's your power breakfast. A cup of beautiful colors, a selection of balanced ingredients, crunchy fruits, an explosive granola mix and the grape syrup where the boost and sweetness is found. I loved the different textures combined in this delicious, enjoyable cup that gives you an energy boost for the day.
- Frozen melon juice: A condensed cup of melon juice, pure melon in a cup, great for athletes after a long day's work. A hydrating punch.
- Now for the main thing, the plate of organic eggs. Served on a round plate, loaded with items, an appetite opener and a guarantee to make your mouth water. A loaf of bread topped with a portion of labneh, some green olives and Soumaya's signature cookies. Rye and spelt flour, Zaatar, olive oil and oat flakes. Juicy scrambled eggs, add them to the cookie and be prepared to lick your lips inside out. Lightly salty, a bit of pepper and this mix of organic ingredients, the crunch of those biscuits, the molten eggs. Exceptional!
- The real deal: Smoked Jarro fish, or white fish, smoked locally by Marin Traiteur, my favorite salmon provider, and carefully caressed by Soumaya. A plate loaded generously with fish rolled individually, the famous bread basket, olive oil, roma lettuce, cherry tomatoes and grapefruit.
The things I liked:
- The place is fresh, neat, true and uncomplicated.
- The food is excellent and the portions very generous.
- They use glass water bottles and I love that.
Come on, go up the mountain while you can. The Coffee Cycle will put a smile on your face.
Coffee Cycle by Bread Basket Square | Faqra roundabout, Kfardebian