On the ground floor of The Westin Dublin, a bar welcomes you until the late hours of the day. Searching for a place to eat, we were led to the Mint Bar that serves dinner even after 09:30pm.
The Mint Bar has turned former bank vaults into one of Dublin's favorite meeting places. The welcoming atmosphere, a great pint of Guinness and an extensive cocktail list make it popular with locals and hotel guests who wish to experience the best of Dublin nightlife. Over the years the Mint Bar has been recognized as one of the best bars in Dublin, winning a number of prestigious and widely coveted awards.
Pass the lobby then take the first left down the stairs to the Mint Lounge. Behind the door, a dungeon like space with its low ceiling, dimmed lights and white arcades make you feel like you're in the basement of an old castle. Expect to discover the meaning of calmness as the ambiance is cool with low background music in a place with no considerable action.
The place described:
- The location of this bar underground with no windows and its low ceiling is claustrophobic
- A large square space centered by the bar in the middle
- Four walls all covered with stones and decorated with pending chandeliers
- The floor is covered with dark wooden parquet that blends with the wood tables from the same color
- You can choose to sit on the high stools around rectangular tables or on the sofas surrounding the place for a more relaxing dining
- Low dimmed lighting creates the ambiance of the place
- Light brown leather furniture
- Three TVs are hanging on each of the walls displaying sports programs
- Even though its a pub, the music is low and plays discretely in the background
- Over all this, the white ceiling built in an arcade shape creates the theme this pub wants to offer
On the tables, you will find three printed papers. The Mint journal displaying the menu, stories and specials. The green thick official menu and the cocktails leaflet. I would suggest you go for the easier one and that is the journal.
We ordered for dinner:
- Chicken Caesar salad: With grilled chicken breast and bacon starter €11.50. A simple and tasty salad
- Fish & Chips: Beer battered lemon sole fillets with rustic chips and tartare sauce €14.00. Non oily and full of taste. The fish is crispy on the outside and melting like butter on the inside. A successful plate
- Club Sandwich: Irish turkey, Roma tomato, iceberg lettuce, bacon and a fried egg, served with rustic chips €12.50. Not good, not good at all. Dry, stingy and containing ingredients that don't mix well together.
MY TASTY DISCOVERY: Galway Hooker Beer
: Galway Hooker
is a brand of Irish Pale Ale
, brewed by a microbrewery in Roscommon
. The beer is made similar to traditional Pale Ales such as that brewed by the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
in the USA, but has an added taste of caramel similar to an Irish red beer. It is made from mainly pearl and crystal malt and Saaz
and cascade hops. It has a bitterness of 35 IBUs and is 4.4% alcohol by volume. The beer is available kegged on draught, or in bottles. Draught is available in pubs throughout Galway
Food is correct, prices are reasonable, waiters are pleasant and welcoming and the drinks are fresh. An overall experience that is interesting to consider especially that it is located within the hotel and still is a pub around the city.