CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Claus: Very Unprofessional Service! What a Shame!
Claus is a breakfast specialist in the heart of the first district, Claus opens from the early hours of the morning until two in the afternoon. It's a cafe on one side and a shop on the other, they have a large selection of drinks and pastries specialized for your breakfast.
It seems everyone wants to try it because the line is sometimes an hour long. It was 11:30am when we found a table. Claus is divided into two floors, a couple of tables down below and more seating under the low ceiling. The space is welcoming, an open kitchen, a bar and the staff walking around to please everyone. I loved the idea of seeing the dish washer in the heart of the restaurant.
On the menu:
- The special meals with an average price of €24, sandwiches, home made pastries, homemade cakes, fruits and cereals, a specialty and organic eggs.
I enjoyed my morning:
- Breakfast starts with a basket of bread and Echiré butter on the side. Fresh chewy bread a la Francaise with one of the world's best butters.
- Try the cinnamon and hazelnut roll, a roll made of brioche bread with layers of cinnamon cream decorated with hazelnuts on top. Tender and moist with a load of butter, the roll has a touch of finesse.
- The croissant is surely made of premium butter and loaded with it, it has a superb taste and leaves an excellent after note, but I expected it to be crispier and flakier. Yum... Its taste is indeed unique.
- Gluten free, rice flour pistachio muffin topped with raspberry jam and decorated with a fresh raspberry. Juicy and tender. Loved it.
- And now came the pancakes, the specialty which needs fifteen minutes to prepare. Apples and almonds served on a round place, one big piece of muffin, thick and fluffy covered with sliced almonds and covered with apples. I'd say, better call it a warm cake and not a pancake. A specialty needs more dedication. Only half of it is covered with apples and almonds, making every bite different. One is tasty and balanced with those sweet apples and crunchy almonds, while another is dry and sticky without the sweetness those apples provide.
- Granola and white cheese with red fruits. A simple layer of white cheese topped with a crunchy mix of granola, hazelnuts and pecans. What better to start your day with touches of lightness?
€13 per person, reasonable and worth every penny.
Soft and calm vibes, a simple menu, tasty food. It deserves to be one of Paris' breakfast recommendations.