CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
J.Makhlouf: The Sandwicheria of Choice!
J.Makhlouf: Clean, Professional and Very Tasty Sandwiches
It's called J.Makhlouf and it's located on Dora's inner road leading to Bourj Hammoud. On Armenia Street is a small shop facing Big Sale called J.Makhlouf. The first impression is a great one.
Extremely clean but tiny, the space includes an open kitchen and bar with two seats only. Order and eat while walking the sidewalk. You are welcomed by a man, I believe he's the owner, who makes sure you are satisfied and happy. When asked what they recommend ordering, he answers wisely, suggesting I try their steak sandwich. Thankfully it was not the usual cliche answer of, "All is tasty".
After meticulously preparing the sandwiches, the counter is cleaned by the minute. Speedy and effective, neat and appetizing, professional and full of life, J.Makhlouf just put a smile on my face.
The menu is displayed in Arabic and has a large choice of sandwiches. Fries, steak, meat, chicken and burgers with a selection of desserts.
The details are incredible. I'm rarely amazed by a sandwicheria or a street food shop, but this one just rocks. The way the man cleans the Pepsi can before giving it to you, the quality of the bread, the beautiful music he plays in the background... The Pepsi arranged one next to the other. The wipes he offers you at the end. Man, I was amazed.
- The quality of the bread is exceptional.
- The sandwich size and presentation is awesome.
- The ingredients are so fresh.
- The taste is extravagant.
- The steak sandwich just rocks. The bread and lightness melting under the teeth. The well cooked tender steak offering a certain enjoyable moisture. The tender potatoes inside, the mushrooms and the sauce, adding a light sweetness to the mix. I've never ever eaten a steak sandwich that good.
- The burger, the real homey, uncomplicated and unsophisticated burger filled with delicious meat, a tender bun, a light sweetness, coleslaw and fries. You have to try it to believe it, this burger that's not fatty and wrapped in aluminum foil.
- Cheese and ham like the good old days. Melting cheese and ham in a lightly toasted sandwich. Oregano, tomatoes and pickles. Yummy! I was so happy...
- The chicken sandwich: Chicken that's not marinated in garlic, moist and delicious. I'm out of words. I've rarely finished a sandwich before taking my notes.
Finish eating and you're offered a wet napkin to clean your hands. That's stunning.
Putting it in two words, I can only say that the experience at Makhlouf is amazing. I’ve rarely, I won't say "never", experienced a fast food shop as clean, as welcoming, as tasty and as fresh as this one. Walid the owner is a rare jewel everyone should meet.
J.Makhliuf, Street Food, +961 1 264787