It's getting chilly outside and Halloween is just around the corner - what better way to welcome the new season than with a tasty in season soup - Pumpkin Soup. Joanna's Table brings NGNO this exclusive recipe... Prepare, enjoy and stay warm.
- 1.5kg cooking pumpkin
- 1 leek chopped
- 1 potato boiled & chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- chicken or vegetable stock
- 100ml double cream or you can use coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C/gas mark 5. First, cut the pumpkin in half horizontally and remove the seeds. Season the pumpkin flesh with salt and pepper. Lay the rosemary sprigs & drizzle a little olive oil on pumpkin halves.
- Put the pumpkin halves in large roasting trays and roast for 1-1½ hours, or until tender. (The exact cooking time will vary based on differences in oven temperature and the variety, shape, density and thickness of the pumpkin). The pumpkin is ready when you can easily slip a knife into the thickest part of the flesh. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, remove the rosemary.
- Scoop out the pumpkin flesh and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion & leeks stir frequently for 5-6 minutes until translucent but not browned. Add to the pan a touch of seasoning and pinch of grated nutmeg. Continue to sauté for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the pumpkin flesh to the pan (& the potato if you are using any) .
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Stir in the double cream and heat for a further minute.
- In several batches, ladle the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Add the butter and blitz again until you reach a rich, velvety smooth texture. Pour the soup into a clean pan to reheat.
Serve and Enjoy