CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Sushi Shack: Noodles and Fresh Sushi (Restaurant Closed)
For the past two months I have been driving by Sushi Shack on my way home, but never thought of trying it. The place is always empty. Not a single full table, not a single customer... But I wanted to check it out; especially the decor is too nice to be ignored.
Yesterday night, accompanied by four of our friends, we went to try Sushi Shack. We were welcomed by the manager and chose one of the many tables in this square venue. White, vast, relaxed... The first impression is just great. As the door opens a fresh breath of air grabs you and moves you inside like a magnetic force.
Dining alone, exactly as I expected to, we were offered a sheet of paper and a pencil along with the menu. While my wife took care of the order, I went on taking pictures of the details of this place. I loved it!
The portrait of a beautiful space:
- While parking your car, a large glass facade welcomes you with an introduction to the inner space.
- Matte grey tiles cover the floor.
- Around the restaurant, black and white take over the space. White walls, black ones, black leather with some greenery adding freshness.
- High, black stools following the glass facade respect the area's spirit
- In the middle of the restaurant, grass covers the main pillar supporting the roof
- Black leather sofas surround brushed wooden tables, as well as some relaxing chairs and long benches
- At the end of the restaurant an open kitchen prepares one roll after another.
- My favorite part is the middle low table and its two benches lit by two black lanterns hanging from above
- 3 LCD TVs broadcast fashion and catwalks
The space is neat, clean, clear and fresh. It opens up your appetite and puts a smile on your face.
- Hoso Maki/Wrap Nori
- Ura Maki
- Crispy Ura Maki/Crispy Wrap
- Special Ura Maki Wraps
- Naked Maki
- Futo Maki/Wrapped Nori
- Set Menus
Good to know:
- Prices are fine… at the high end category of sushi restaurants
- They still don't have noodles, but they might be coming soon
The Food is as good as the decor:
- Combo Salad LBP23,000:That’s a good combination. My all-time favorite spicy salmon, together with the renowned crab salad in one mix that’s fresh, tasty and offers a spicy aftertaste that’s so enjoyable.
- Spicy Salmon Salad LBP22,000: The salmon’s quality is just perfect. Large cubes of salmon with good color, a good texture and surely a perfect taste, mixed with crispy crisps and a mayonnaise sauce that feels light. A delicious mix!
- Crab salad:As good as you’d expect, this salad is served cold, mixed with tobico and cucumber slices. I loved its freshness and different, enjoyable textures.
- The Temakis deserve a line:Not everyone succeeds with their Temaki. I’ve rarely enjoyed such a crunchy, fresh nori roll filled with a large quantity of fish and premium ingredients with little rice. Temakis are a must at Sushi Shack. Not only that, but those cones are served on a funky porcelain stand, helping keep their freshness.
- Served on a square, white porcelain plate, the rolls are not separated with those ugly green plastic things, but decorated with a green leaf. These pieces are just good. Tasty pieces, filled with premium ingredients. An adequate size, rice that isn’t sweet, and some ingredients here and there to add a fine touch of finesse, like olive oil or ginger. The pieces are lightly chewy but enjoyable, making Sushi Shack a very good restaurant in the middle category of Japanese venues.
The good things:
- My favorite dish is the Cherry Blossom (Ginger outside, mango, avocado and crazy mix inside).
- The welcoming is excellent
- The lighting is perfect
- The freshness of the air is awesome
- The portions are generous
- They don’t use those ugly plastic separators
- They don’t use cabbage to fill their salads
- They use glass water bottles
- The staff rolling the sushi wear head covers
I would change:
- Change the commercial pencils, or get black ones
- Next time, be a bit more creative when choosing the name. “Shake Shack” is a trend that many don’t appreciate... That can backfire.
I wasn’t satisfied... I wanted more. On the next night, I decided to order a takeout dfrom Sushi Shack; dinner for four, an average of 50 pieces, which I picked up 45 minutes after ordering.
The Sushi Shack experience was very good and I think this place deserves a try. Now that you know, go up to the Rabieh internal road and give this Japanese restaurant a try, I hope it will maintain its quality.