CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
A Majestic Breakfast at Hotel Le Vendome Beirut (Restaurant Closed)
Claude Lauxerrois' Cheese Selection: Discover France on a Table
Sydney's: The Come Back... A Simple Yet Refined Culinary Experience (Restaurant Closed)
Sydney's: Le Vendome's Famous Lounge (Restaurant Closed)
Breakfast with a View at Hotel Le Vendôme Beirut (Restaurant Closed)
Breakfast at Sydney's: Service and Food Used to Be Better... (Restaurant Closed)
Sydney's Beirut Launches Its New Menu: In The Kitchen With the Chefs (Restaurant Closed)
Breakfast at Le Vendome Beirut: Where Style, Luxury and Taste Unite (Restaurant Closed)
Sydney’s, or 'the place of endless memories' as I like to call it. At Sydney’s people meet, fall in love, enjoy, come after parties, have breakfast, lunch and dinner, enjoy sunset and great music. Sydney’s is where my wife and I met, it’s where I come for breakfast every time I want to pamper myself. Tonight was a very special night, as I was meeting chef Rabih Fouany and tasting his food for the first time.
The famous - I call them famous because they've not changed in all the years I've been coming - carrots, cucumbers, edamame and tapenade in a stainless steel tray landed on the table, fresh hot bread and glasses filled with wine while we awaited to be served. A gourmet dinner starts with the chef’s amuse bouche.
Served hot on a classy bowl-cum-plate comes the amuse bouche: very hot and beautifully decorated, carefully created by the chef to impress! Crunchy shrimp with ginger, pesto sauce and lime risotto. Rice cooked al dente the way it should be, the risotto has a light sweetness with a hint of zesty lemon at the end. On top of it comes a shrimp finger, fried to perfection to crunch and chew at the same time. A balanced cocktail of flavors and textures combined... I was excited to taste the rest.
- Spicy Tuna Tacos: crispy tortilla filled with avocado cream with Yuzu. Crispy as the menu suggests, juicy inside out with a kick of zesty yuzu at the end.
- Lentil salad: string beans, heirloom cherry tomato and feta. Well cooked, a light crunch yet juicy and sweet. A simple salad with a touch of freshness and a kick of spiciness at the end.
- The Sydney’s burrata is a must have! Superb quality you really can’t resist, the olive oil, the balsamic... all add-ons perfect this classy plate.
- Goat's cheese Tartine: a spread of goat's cheese on a crunchy slice of baguette with a very tender caramélisés fig to add the needed sweetness.
- The dragon shrimp tempura: just imagine enjoying the gourmet fine dining version of PF Chang’s famous creation. They’re so good, so juicy, so intensely flavorful and enjoyably crunchy. Great job chef.
When you receive a box of Laguiole knives to choose from, you know that your meat is on its way. Superb meat, extremely tender yet well textured, no sauce needed to show its pure premium quality. But I was wrong, the sauce elevates it even more, a superb sauce and outstanding sides... I was honestly not expecting to enjoy the food this much! Every plate has something to it... simple things yet enjoyable in their own way.
This is what I loved about dinner tonight, really simple things yet full of life! Passionately cooked food, the chef seems to have years of experience.
I was happy, enjoying the music, the vibes, drinking to happiness and a beautiful life... sometimes it feels good to appreciate life! More was yet to come... a meal is not complete without a selection of desserts.
A molten fondant au chocolat, a sweet and juicy pain perdu, a balanced crème brûlée, an apple tart, ice cream and fresh fruits! Not as good as dinner itself but very enjoyable and well balanced, it was a great way to end this feast.
I’m happy to have met the chef and great team at Sydney’s; it is clear that Sydney’s is making a comeback, and that I’ll be back very soon for more.