CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Sandwiched: Delicious Diner Food and a Mouthwatering Chocolate Cake
Sandwiched: My Favorite American Diner in Town... Delicious Food!
It was time I revisited Sandwiched. After a positive encounter in Jounieh, accompanied by my friend, we went to the branch in Antelias, the old detached Lebanese house inspires trust and a sense of cleanliness. Unfortunately for them, the road is being worked on in typical fashion and the road works don't seem to stop. Come here, the food is worth it.
Located on the inner Antelias road, Sandwiched is a diner offering a large selection of appetizers, salads, burgers and the famous toasted sandwiches, an American style buttery toasted sandwich made famous lately by the movie CHEF. I loved this movie so much and how they crunch those sandwiches, making your saliva explode from excitement.
Up a couple of wooden stairs is the large house. A fully-fledged Lebanese house covered with white stones, stone arcades and colorful old style tiles. The blend between the modernism of a diner and the style of an old Lebanese house made of this space a soothing restaurant. Blue sofas, black chairs, yellow metal shelves and grilling sounds fill the space.
The menu is a bit complicated. It starts with the sandwiches, another page follows, burgers come next, and seven pages later salads and appetizers make their appearance. Someone needs to help them with their menu. The sections: Agreeable Frenchies, Wish for more, world's greatest burgers, appealing starters, salads, toasted delights, light menu, desserts, beverages.
Food is awesome:
- Lunch started with the chèvre on top a salad. Three pieces of warm chèvre served on oat bread lying on top of a large bowl filled with mesclun lettuce, decorated with bits of pomegranate, cherry, freshly cut mushrooms and a layer of shredded parmesan cheese. All together seasoned with a vinaigrette dressing. That's a goat cheese salad, diner style... And it's very good. A fresh, casual salad, fulfilling yet special. I loved the walnuts, the pomegranate, the mushrooms and the slightly chewy oat bread pieces that fill up your empty stomach if you're ordering it as a main meal. Close your eyes and feel the fresh cherries.
- The mustard chicken followed: Awesome to say the least. I was expecting a chicken sandwich or something like that, but surely not a slightly crispy envelope of homemade tortilla wrapped around a super juicy chicken along side melting Monterey-Jack cheese and honey mustard sauce. “Uuffff” was the word I said after the first bite.
- A dream come true! A fine American style fatty diner sandwich with all its richness and flavors, here in Lebanon. A large square bread, soft and tender, slightly buttered and toasted, filled with a sweet flavor, slices of tender pork and crispy bacon, which works as a cherry on top. Cheese is everywhere, melting around all the other ingredients... I was in love!
- Taking a brake, I have to tell you about the fries. Not the average fries you know. A kind of semicircle shape, crispy on the outside, well cooked on the inside and oil-free. I loved their saltiness.
- They called the next sandwich a Sloppy Joe; it is great, but not the American Sloppy Joe famous for its load of minced beef in a tender sandwich. The Sandwiched Sloppy Joe is a sandwich of square bread filled with a large piece of hamburger patty covering all the bread, cheddar cheese, loads of it, crispy bacon and caramelized onions. An overdose of barbecue sauce adds sweetness and flavor. You should see Joe, my friend, and his facial expressions... He was in LaLa Land.
Lunch was extravagant. That's diner food as it should be, no sophistication, no plates, no Lebanization of it. When you feel like eating American food, head to Sandwiched. Let me put it as is: Please do not compare it with Crepaway or Roadster, Sandwiched is unique and I love it. The ingredients used are clearly premium quality.
Best for last: The dessert! I previously had the chocolate cake which was awesomely mouthwatering, now I tried the brownie. A warm brownie topped with chunks of slightly undercooked brownies with a layer of chocolate mousse with walnuts and vanilla ice cream. The smoothness of the brownie, the coldness of the ice cream and the walnuts, which add this finesse to a diner meal … wonderful. Surely part of my next TOP 10 desserts.
Love this place... +961 4 416 955