CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Sandwiched... Bewitched by a Sandwich and a Mouthwatering Dessert
Sandwiched: My Favorite American Diner in Town... Delicious Food!
I've been asked by my friends to come visit Sandwiched and here I am. What I thought to be a new sandwicheria has been open for the last four years. I was expecting a kiosk but we landed in front of a fully fledged diner, a blend of Roadster and Classic Burger Joint combined. I will say that the name doesn't help the concept much.
Nestled in the heart of Jounieh, a few meters away from Habana, is Sandwiched. You'll reach a large space, a long bar with high stools for smokers and inside a diner filled with leather sofas, wooden tables and the vibes of an American eatery. Sandwiched is more than a sandwich place, it offers a selection of burgers, appetizers, salads and interesting starters. So we sat and asked for help. The owner, Wissam Farhat, approached us with his suggestions of which we chose the beef and wine sandwich, the Mighty, the cheeseburger and some mozzarella sticks.
- Facing the entrance is an open kitchen broadcasting soothing sounds of grilling and frying
- All around the space are black benches around light wooden tables. Dark leather with white stripes surrounds them
- Inside the wall facing every table is a cavity where Heinz mustard, ketchup, tobacco, salt and pepper are laid out
- Two LCD TVs display sports
- The main wall is covered with red bricks the other is painted in light grey
- Black, grey and light orange tones are used all over the venue
- It’s a well lit space dissipating positive vibes
- Large glass facades open up the view of the neighborhood
- From the ceiling, eight lamps hang from the ceiling
- Small decorative items, displayed here and there add a touch of style
- There’s a clear banner telling visitors that there’s no smoking inside; smokers can use the outside counter for this purpose
- Agreeable Frenchies: served in white multigrain baguette or oat bread
- Wish for more: hot and juicy sandwiches
- World's greatest burgers: 200g of succulent fresh beef patty chargrilled in a brioche bun
- Toasted delights: served in American bread, toasted with house pickles and cherry tomatoes
- Lunch started with potato dippers L.L10,000: A bowl of moon-shaped potatoes, fried in their skin and served with a garlic mayo sauce. Crunchy on the sides, and soft in the middle, I enjoyed the consistency and taste. The most important thing is that they are not oily.
- Beef'n wine sandwich L.L14,000: A long sandwich served all by itself and cut in half. Lolo verde lettuce, melting cheese and tender beef grilled with fresh mushrooms in a red wine sauce. What a lovely sandwich where a tenderness takes over all the details filling the bread. A soft bun, tender meat, light mushrooms, melting cheese... How nice, how enjoyable. Simple yet tasty: I loved it.
- The mozzarella sticks are unique L.L9,000: Really unique, like no other in town. Four large rectangles of melting cheese served in an "S" shape with a Bellagio dip. I adored how the cheese was melting and how the bread crunched like corn flakes and was not smothered by the cheese. Large pieces of bread mixed with spices made all the difference. It starts with a crunch, ends with a melting mix and an enjoyable bite that's the perfect first impression of an enjoyable lunch. The bites are a bit neutral and needed more salt, but the dip balanced it all out. So, before judging, dip in and enjoy.
- The mighty cheese L.L14,000: A large, square bread sandwich served with cherry tomatoes and pickles on the side. A richly filled sandwich with ingredients that blend perfectly well together. Cheese, grilled chicken, grilled bacon, sautéed mushrooms, Swiss cheese and caramelized onions. Not the lightest of sandwiches for sure, but an enjoyable innovation with a tender chicken, fine melting cheese and BBQ sauce... A mix of different textures and flavors. That's a sandwich up to the standards of a real American diner. Try the chicken by its own and enjoy its juiciness and grilling taste.
- All the burgers looked appetizing, but we chose the cheeseburger for L.L12,000L.L: The bread emptied from the inside gives room for the other ingredients to be enjoyed. The first bite was bizarre, the second more enjoyable, until I started remembering what a real homemade burger tastes like. It’s a correct and simple burger with no sophistication. Adequate juiciness and adequate quantity of fat and premium ingredients. I loved the meat, loved the bread, which is special, and enjoyed the freshness of the vegetables. It is not one of those burgers that makes up a Top 10 list, but even better; a simple and tasty burger you'll just enjoy without thinking. I loved its homemade feel.
While eating, I couldn't help but go back to the dippers bowl and continue eating the potatoes. I really enjoyed them. What I liked:
- I enjoyed the vibes of this place, a kind of neighborhood diner
- The place mats are printed on thin absorbent paper and are the restaurant's newsletter. They are already on Volume 12
- The food is very good. A fine quality and innovative menu produced with love and clear passion
- Restrooms have to be maintained more meticulously
If the food was good why not check out their dessert? The house chocolate cake is the recommendation.
- What the hell is that! A huge piece of chocolate cake that's surely not from planet Earth. I started by the extremities and at first was not impressed. One side was tender and the other toasted until you reach the middle; here is where the passion is. Honestly... That's heaven on a plate. A triangular shaped cake covered with a dark chocolate sauce floating on three layers of sponge cake separated one for the other by a melted milk chocolate sauce similar to Nutella. Press the fork on top until it touches the plate and make sure to grab a bite of all the layers combined. As your tongue feels the different textures and different flavors, you start feeling heaviness along your eyes as they close all by themselves. Make sure not to moan to loudly... An interesting sponginess, a lovely sweetness, a condensed richness and a cake that definitely will be part of the best 10 desserts you can have in Lebanon. If I was to change something, I'd still serve it warm, but change the way it is heated so the sides don’t get toasted.
I was impressed by the quality and taste off Sandwiched’s offerings. I was expecting to eat street food, or "snack" quality dishes, and landed in a diner that will be competing with the big names over the years. Thank you for the dessert that was offered; a very professional and generous initiative. We ate all of the above for below $25 per person. Want to change and discover something new? Sandwiched is an address to consider.