CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Dim Sum et Noodles Bar at the Lafayette Gourmet, Paris
A Night at Lafayette...
Lafayette Gourmet: Paris' Food Extravaganza
Lafayette Gourmet Paris: A Unique Food Experience
How many times have I passed in front of the Petrossian stand which is known to have the world’s best Caviar without stopping? How many times my mouth watered in front of the salmon display which I thought is only for takeaway. Today, spending the day at Lafayette Gourmet, I planned to have lunch at Petrossian. From Caviar to salmon, Russian salad and Tarama, the menu is inspired by traditional Russian specialities.
Petrossian legend was only starting back in 1920. In the beginning, there was only caviar, but lately in the 30ies came the legendary smoked salmon, then the caviar after World War II, and the Red King Crab. They had in common to be meticulously prepared for the always renewed pleasure of Petrossian's prestigious customers. Since then, from Paris to New-York, Petrossian's caviar stands as an elegant icon and ambassador of real luxury. And Petrossian's name continues to celebrate its particular art de Vivre, founded on authenticity, excellency and conviviality.
Behind the gourmet, display choose to sit at the bar or on one of the round tables. Blue is the color, Petrossian written in red, white table napkins and silverware; I was ready to order.
On the menu:
- Salmon plate
- Salmon eggs
- Russian salad with crab
- Salmon filet
- Smoked scallops
- Foie gras
- Le Caviar Baika
- Le caviar Daurenki
- Le caviar Ossetra
- Le caviar Béluga
- Croque monsieur au caviar
I’ve surely ordered a selection of several appetizers, smoked salmon, and caviar! Vodka is a definite choice for a drink.
A pleasant attention, a smiley waitress, but honestly a lack of know-how for an upscale place proposing plates at 18€ and above. Four of the plates were not on today’s menu and when asking why the menu is called Zakouski, the answer was “I don’t know, but I can ask”.
A gourmet royal lunch:
- Smoked salmon, a high quality where fat is balanced and salt is equilibrated. Thick cuts of salmon, fine gourmet salmon far from the ones we buy at the supermarket. Petrossian salmon is an experience.
- Russian salad with crab feels like canned food. Diced vegetables with mayonnaise and a decoration of crab. The toast and crab are the main tasty ingredients of this salad. I found the vegetables warm and too creamy.
- Pirojki is about three tasteless bites of puff pastry, one with cheese, one with spinach and one with meat. These nonsense bites are served with sucrine lettuce on the side covered with a salty sauce. Surely not worth 18€.
- Tarama is a must try if you like Tarama. Tarama is the smoked eggs of cod with olive oil and milk cream. It’s a creamy mix with a lemony end-note and a taste of the sea with hints of salt.
Best for last:
Baika Royal caviar comes from the best French, Chinese and Italian farms. This caviar has a fragile texture, with small, firm roe that separates with ease. They are dark in color and offer a clean taste from the start, opening up the taste buds to a dominant fruity flavor, followed by beautiful mineral notes, on a very discreet taste of the sea. This caviar is perfect for an aperitif or appetizer. Lay it on your tongue and understand why the price. Caviar makes you travel around the globe and back, it makes you feel food, understand the work of nature... caviar is for food what diamond is for women. No blini needed, no add-on, no lemon... nothing shall alternate the taste of his dream! Lay it on your palate, let it run around your mouth, push it up your palate... Oh My Goodness, this is literally the best thing I’ve ever tasted and yet it’s not the most expensive quality.
Bad and extremely slow service, average salads and sides but wait until you’ve had the real deal. One of the best salmon I’ve ever had, a unique Tarama and caviar that will make you dream. An experience... more of a journey... it’s memorable!