I've been a big fan of Semsom since I first discovered it in Achrafieh back in 2008. I love their signature twist on Lebanese cuisine, the colors in their dishes and above all their flavors! Especially their signature hummus. I've been to Semsom Oman, Kuwait and New York and can assuredly state: they make a one-of-a-kind hummus!
Semsom is a Lebanese restaurant with a twist, a restaurant that has reinvented Lebanese cuisine for the youth. Semsom joyously says 'hummus and cardamom work together, just as hummus with sesame, sumac or even basil...so come try!' I come here for the hummus every other week because I simply love it. Newly opened in ABC Verdun, I visited for a pleasant lunch with a view onto the garden.
Up on the 4th floor, Semsom welcomes you onto a terrace of enchanting colors overlooking the ABC garden. While enjoying some old Lebanese tunes and Fayrouziyat I ordered a bit of everything...
The restaurant: Semsom is a casual eatery with cosy seating inside opening onto a vast terrace. Colorful sofas and cushions, wooden chairs painted in several colors, wooden tables and two canopies to protect you from the summer's intense heat. Playfully coming from all sides, the breeze adds great vibes to your meal.
I love it!!!! The food is really good...
- I started with the hummus - four kinds of it - and seriously, Semsom makes some of the country's best hummus. It's rich and creamy, lightly lemony with tahina that doesn't stick to your palate.
- The Kebbeh cups are to die for. Thinly carved Kebbeh served warm and stuffed with hummus or labneh or moutabbal.
- Wait until you've tried the spicy potato cubes; a crunch and an intense spiciness.
- My favorite are the mashed potato balls with raspberry sauce. It reminded me of a homely potato purée, mixed with tender minced meat and topped with chopped raspberry to add a certain sweetness.
- Kebbeh ma3jou2a, a metal plate, round Kebbeh and a load of diced vegetables. It's really yummy!
- Their freekeh is to die for... that iconic salad - lemony and tangy with freekeh grains that explode delightfully under the teeth.
- Ever tried shawarma spring rolls? Great textured fingers of shawarma in an innovative form.
- Enjoying every single dish, I even forgot what I ordered... but I can tell you that the sandwiches are as exquisite as the mixed grill platter or the French fries.
Sitting back and enjoying the ABC mood, I didn't want to leave. A breathe of fresh air, dimmed lighting, waiters with a positive attitude... I enjoyed it all!
Souhail was our waiter today, with a large smile on his face, he made sure to spread happiness.
The desserts are as good as lunch itself:
- Freekeh served hot with sugar and crunchy almonds.
- Homemade mafroukeh with kashta on top.
- Crunchy esmalliyeh with Halawa and cheese cream. This cheesecake esmalliyeh is an invention!
- Rose water with rose ice cream and kashta ice cream topped with white cotton candy.
Amazing, simply amazing, I enjoyed my lunch so much that I plan to come back at least once a month.