I was quite surprised with the positive experience encountered at Ginger&Co a while back. I visited a small restaurant in Hazmieh that boasts a tasty and casual Japanese menu. I recently heard that they have moved into a bigger location just fifty meters up the same road. Bigger place, new set up? I was intrigued. The first thing I can assure you is that Ginger&Co, although is now serving more clients in a bigger location, still oozes the same warmth and spirit of its original location.
White and pink, the signature colors of the original Ginger&Co are still here to welcome you, coupled with light colored wood covering the walls and ceiling. The now "L" shape restaurant has different sections. Each section feels private yet convivial at the same time. Behind the glass door, choose to sit on the right side, where the air conditioning is mild, or choose one of the two tables at the entrance if you prefer benches or continue to the main area in front of the bar, where a high glass facade gives a soothing view of the external terrace and garden, where smokers can enjoy a nice and simple ambiance outside.
The place described:
- White tables
- Grey benches and white plastic chairs decorated with red lines
- Condensed wood buffet and shelves
- Wood ceiling
- A big bar with two salmon fridges facing the entrance
- Grey ceramic floor
- Two wine coolers at the entrance
- Bonsai tree and white flowers freshen up the place
The menu sections:
Starters, Soup, Salads, Sashimi, Sushi, Hosomaki, Gunkan, Temaki, Sesame, Foie Gras, Light Maki, Red Slim, Cucumber Maki, Tamago, Rocca Slim, Ebiko Maki, Crispy Maki, Special Maki, Rice, Teriyaki, Set Menu, Sweet Sin
- Crunchy Salmon Salad 19,500L.L
- Crispy Smoked Salmon 7,500L.L
- Foie Gras Fig 12,500L.L
- Crispy Crazy 6,500L.L
- Crispy Shrimp Tempura 6,000L.L
- Crispy Salmon Skin 5,000L.L
- Cucumber Maki Salmon 6,500L.L
- Crispy Crunchy Salmon 7,500L.L
- Crispy Spicy Shrimp 6,500L.L
- Temaki Crazy Salmon 17,00L.L
- Crispy Duo 8,500L.L
- Special Phili Shrimp 9,000L.L
The Food Experience
- Crunchy salmon salad has now improved a lot. Eating small cubes of salmon was annoying. I enjoyed a new taste, a new feel, a superb great product filled with fresh and crunchy salmon cubes filled with a fine sauce that keeps a long joyful after taste
- Marinated salmon, ignites an experience even before you start eating as much as this place is beautiful to see. This new item added to the menu is simply mouthwatering. Wow! 15 slices of premium salmon provided by Royal Gourmet, soaked in Ginger&CO signature sauce. Non oily and non fatty, each piece melts under your teeth like butter.
- The Foie Gras pieces make of this preparation, a creation suitable for fine dining restaurants. The mango in one and honey on the other, each give the roll the needed sweetness that come with the generous piece of Foie Gras. One of the sexiest pieces Ginger&Co. has to offer
- Do not forget to order the Smoked Duck. Avocado, sun dried tomatoes, cucumber and cheese: what less than amazing can you expect from such a heavenly piece of magic. I loved it.
- My favorite section on the menu is the light one, where makis are rolled in cucumber and summer fresh vegetables. I recommend you try it
- Oreo Tempura: Makes the Oreo soft like I love it but the outside stays crunchy. An innovative invention it is.
- Chocolate Pancakes: A dessert you might not consider ordering as it doesn’t fit a Japanese Restaurant: You will be missing a lot. Their Pancakes are finger licking good. Medium sized and crunchy on the side, Ginger&Co pancakes are a sin
A round of applause to the chefs: The new Salmon Skin recipe is very good. A huge improvement I salute
- No plastic grass separate the Japanese pieces. Bravo for amending this disgusting tradition
- Wasabi is not hiding inside a carrot like others do but served on the plates with an engraved Ginger&Co logo
- Very generous pieces and attitude
- Little rice used compared to the main fish ingredients
- I like the "growing" napkin and its ritual. Some hot water on a medicine shaped capsule and you have a refreshing towel
- The food is tasty and light at the same time
- They have a choice of Badoit, Perrier and San Pellegrino carbonated water brands: Thank you!
- White ginger is offered not the colored pink one
- Two seasoning containers, new to Lebanon, were offered to us: A dried wasabi with nori slices seasoning as well as a concentrated spicy syrup. Ask to try them, they are unique
- The new menu is clean, professional and relaxing to the eyes
- All the staff is perfectly trained, welcoming and joyful
5 months passed since my last visit to Ginger&Co and everything is moving forward...
- Expect to feel the oiliness of the Oreo tempura: Very normal as they are deeply fried and covered with a crispy envelop
- Their nori leaves were too chewy reducing the overall fine taste of the maki rolls. Even the temaki felt like a chewing-gum. Please look into this matter. I went to Le Sushi Bar twice this week and enjoyed one of the best nori leaves in my entire life, so crunchy and so fresh. Let's learn from them
I enjoyed my dinner, the place, the staff and food. I would definitely come back soon to try the rest of their tasty plates. Keep up the good work guys.