I knew I was in for a treat as two guards opened the gates that led my ride into the Golden Tulip El Mechtel - a delightful place situated on the perimeter of the Belvedere Park. The same guards rushed to help me with my bags in a super positive and welcoming manner. Ideal for business and leisure travelers, the hotel is in close proximity to the central business district and the Medina. It is only 7 kilometers away from Tunis Carthage International Airport.
As I reached the reception area, I gave a quick signature and was accompanied to my room on the 5th floor. A big suite was waiting for me with all the comforts required to hopefully make my week-end stay memorable. I walk into the room and see a spacious welcoming area with a dining table, a big living room with two large sofas, a nice bathroom, and another big room with a sofa, a working desk and a king size bed. I slept like a baby on my first night. I arrived late and jumped into the soft bed covered with a thick duvet and four pillows. I am now in my room, it's my second night, I am watching TV, relaxing, walking barefoot on the fluffy burgundy carpet and writing this review... Let me tell you what I see and what I have experienced so far... Firstly, thank you for the fruit basket, the Arabic sweets and the flowers that add a personal touch to my stay. I woke up to seven red roses in the living room and two pink roses in the bathroom - a fresh start indeed.
This four star hotel, although old, has been really been well maintained. The room has more features and amenities than many other five star hotels I have visited.
The Room is fully equipped:
- A speedy Internet connection that is unfortunately not for free
- Two satellite TVs - one in the living room and another in front of the bed with a complete list of the available international channels
- A DVD player
- In-room safe deposit box
- Two air conditioning units, one for each area
- Two direct-dial telephones
- Mini bar with a complementary water bottle, coffee and tea
- Ironing board
Interesting room amenities:
- A large complementary water bottle
- Two facial tissue boxes
- Soap, shampoo, bath salts, shower gel, eau de toilette, body lotion, loofah, comb, dental kit, shaving kit, a scale with the adequate weight notes, slippers and a bathrobe. Two versions of everything are available to please each member of the couple staying at the room.
- A hair dryer
- Laundry bags
- A paper shopping bag
- A shoeshine box
Really! I never saw that many amenities in a four star hotel ever before. And more so, they have a bathroom note:
"If you have forgotten any essential toiletry items, then please contact the housekeeping. We will be pleased to deliver with our compliments: shaving cream, disposable razor, toothbrush and toothpaste."
Basically there isn't anything they don't have in the room.
- The air-condition systems are turned off during the winter. If you like your AC on during the winter, forget it. Open the windows
- The public areas are HOT since the air conditioning system is off
- It is unacceptable to pay for the internet service in 2012
I discovered the hotel today, walking around it's premises, you will discover many interesting additional facilities:
- A beauty salon
- A business center
- An outdoor swimming pool
- A nightclub (Romeo)
- Three restaurants (La FLore, Peppino, Afandi)
- A cafe and a pub
- A drinks and croissant area for the hungry early birds
- The breakfast choices are good enough
I have a couple of more nights to stay. Look forward to more restaurant reviews from the hotel.
So far my stay is pleasant and welcoming.