During my stay in Jordan, I was craving for a good mankoushe, something similar to the ones I often enjoy in Lebanon. Thin dough topped with a variety of different pure Zaatar with that zesty tingle, prepared with passion and dedication without any hidden mixes of wood or chickpeas. I happily found it at Thyme & More.
In 2014, Thyme & More started as a restaurant serving manakish and pizzas on fresh fluffy bread. The owner who started out of a need to reduce his cholesterol, opened Thyme & More believing that Zaatar and olive oil are the main cure.
Thyme & More is a fresh, clean and welcoming place. The space boats light green colors, wooden tables, green placemats and a view into the clean kitchen - which is rare around here. You'll find a stone oven, a television, photos of children and happy people...
The menu proposed a variety of manakish, eggs, potatoes and pizzas, salami, angus beef, calzone and desserts. Zaatar is added almost everywhere.
I tried the five varieties of Zaatar on a Mankousheh then asked to try them raw with a spoon. Beautiful! The manakish were superb and the Zaatar was just as good.
- Wild Zaatar: roast sesame, sumac, thyme and sea salt.
- Original: wheat, sesame, sumac, sea salt and thyme.
- Hearty delight: almonds, flax seeds, thyme, wheat and sea salt.
- Cashew and pistachio: sumac, thyme, roast wheat, sea salt.
- Dokah: sesame, wheat, 9 herbs and spices, peanuts and thyme.
Tasting the manakish:
- A super fresh dough, spongy and airy, absorbs the Zaatar. Real textures, good acidity, enjoyable mixes, sesame and good quality oil.
Tasting the pizza:
- Large and thin, richly acidic premium quality tomato sauce, German imported cold cuts, melting cheese and thyme thrown here and there.
Thyme Alfredo is the one I liked; turkey, cheese and bacon. I adored the calzoni which is the owner's signature. We ended the experience with the smoked turkey with Labneh wrap filled with vegetables.
Thyme & More is one of the few places, not to say the only one, I visited in the last 48 hours which prepare food with dedication, passion, love and know how. Their attention to details takes their food to another level. I left so happy and even left my recommended sticker and promised to visit again.