CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Crepico: My New Sweet Escape
Crepico: Pancakes Heaven in Nutella Kingdom
Crepico Zalka: Dessert Madness!
I think it's no secret anymore that I'm preparing my favorite list of pancakes, crepes and waffles. The search started last month with Crepico, which left me happy… The beautifully decorated plates impressed me, as well as the fine chocolate, the eye-catching decorations and good service. My tour continued to highlight those points and confirm them.
Without mentioning names, I've continued my trek around the country, a place where almost all chocolate shops have the same spirit. An overdose of milky and sweet chocolate covering pancakes and waffles, always missing something. Some are thick, others are dry, some crunch while others are soggy... But the most important part is that none has a good chocolate! The sweetness of it all kills me.
This morning I was back at Crepico to reconfirm how good this place is. Like always, I ordered a crepe, a waffle and a pancake... I left impressed.
- We started with the crepe roll. The Strawberry Desire is a roll of crepe filled with strawberries, bananas, a selection of fruits, whipped cream and nuts. A long, well-rolled cylinder filled with a load of ingredients without being soggy or falling apart. The roll is then covered with their homemade chocolate, this chocolate that makes all the difference. They use Callebaut here. White and milk chocolate combined add a touch of flavor, a light sweetness and lots of enjoyment. Amazing to say the least. The different textures, the balanced temperature, a good dough, the chunks of fruit. Superb!
- The pancakes are the finest I've had in Lebanon to date. Amazing, thick pancakes cooked in a mold, pancakes without borders, fluffy like a sponge, airy and tender. Two thick pancakes stacked one on top of the other filled with a layer of melted marshmallows in the middle and decorated with more marshmallows on top before they add the homemade Callebaut chocolate. Amazing, really amazing. Melted marshmallows, fluffy pancakes and some decent chocolate creating a colorful explosion of happiness. Impressed, I was!
- The waffle was different from the one I had the last time I visited. A lollipop-like waffle, simple and clear, topped with honey. It's as good as you’d expect it to be. A decent and real waffle, with a touch of sweetness the honey provides.
Things I like:
- The portions are generous and enjoyable.
- The orders are filling, pleasantly so.
- Each plate is carefully mastered to perfection, creating something close to a piece of art.
- The pancakes, crepes or waffles can be seen; they're not covered with this gooey sweet chocolate they think is decoration in other similar shops.
A second visit, more amazement. If you didn't already try it, please do, because amazement is guaranteed.