This place looks so refreshing and happy... Now open on Zalka's main highway, welcome to Diwan Beirut, a concept by the same people who created the unique Sultan Brahim. Diwan Beirut is your fresh, casual yet upscale Lebanese restaurant where decor and good service blend. An urban get together offers a taste of tradition in a beautiful modern setting.
With its large glass facade open onto the sea and the busy highway, dine in a beautiful setup while enjoying rich and traditional bites. Looking like a fine diner while preserving a certain authentic cachet, the green walls and decorative ceiling together with the burgundy chairs guarantee pleasure for the eyes. Relaxing and decorative chairs, white tables and long benches, mirrors and decorative objects... I loved the space, especially as I rarely feel transported in a Lebanese restaurant.
Dinner starts with some nuts; two choices of them while drinks are ordered. I love the size of their arak glasses, a bit bigger than the smaller ones and smaller than the water glasses. Enjoying the classical music, I let my senses guide me.
On the menu find a wide selection of salads, two pages specially dedicated to hummus (hummus moutammam, hummus shawarma, hummus kawarma, hummus tahina, hummus downtown, hummus with meat, hummus Akkari, hummus Beyrouthy), cold Mezze, hot Mezze, diwan specialities, main courses, nayyeh, sandwiches, desserts, beverages. What a menu!!!! It has it all.
The food is so good! I've ordered a handful of choices...
- One of the best hummus in Lebanon exactly like that to be found at Al Sultan Brahim.
- The hummus with shawarma looks and tastes great! Very tender shawarma - thin slices of it decorating a loaded plate of creamy hummus. Bravo!
- Hummus downtown is spot on, the real taste of hummus with an enjoyable kick of spiciness.
- The crab salad... oh my God! Great quality crab sticks mixed with lemon and olive oil.
- Stuffed grapevine leaves with the required acidity of lemon.
- Loved the tabbouleh! Adored the tabbouleh which I ordered without onions. They add pomegranate to it giving it their hallmark flavor.
- Wow! The grilled cheese rolls made me scream for joy. Grilled to perfection and offering a burnt charcoal taste, they are stuffed with a load of molten cheese.
- Grilled makanek: very juicy and very flavorful. I've rarely had as good!
- Crunchy, fatty, flavorful grilled birds.
- The fried calamari, super crunchy batter and a very tender smooth heart. Not chewy, not elastic... unique calamari served with homemade French fries sauce tartar on the side. Squeeze some lemon and enjoy.
- Chicken liver with pomegranate molasses; they have a certain gourmet flavor to them.
- Kebbeh with a crunchy envelop and a loaded heart of minced meat.
- Loved the shawarma on hummus so I ordered another to try it alone. I enjoyed the shawarma quality, tenderness and flavor.
The food was excellent, simply excellent!
I feel proudly Lebanese every time fruits and desserts are offered in a Lebanese restaurant. A hefty meal is crowned by a complementary selection of fruits and desserts to guarantee a positive last impression and invite you to visit again. Chocolate cake, Layali Loubnan, maamoul madd, watermelon, melon, cherry and Nammoura.
Memorable... the experience was memorable from start to finish. I have a new favorite restaurant and would recommend it to all my friends.