Why would someone use a dark decor with dimmed yellow lights for a hotel; a dark and small lobby looking like a church, closed windows, all lights put off; unfortunately this place feels like a haunted house. The first impression was bizarre and continued throughout the stay. Hotel Cervetta 5 is located in the heart of Modena’s old town few meters from the main Duomo and has parking for your car, located next door; the only two positive things I found.
I’ll go straight to the point and list what won’t make me come back to this hotel:
- The place is dark and claustrophobic.
- The decor fits more the haunted house experience at Disneyland.
- Check-in and expect to start climbing the stairs; the hotel has no elevator and no one to help with the luggage.
- Rooms are small.
- The toilet door is nothing other than a wooden board not even blocking light, noises, and odors from the bathroom.
- The bed is so hard you’ll wake up with a backache -if you could even sleep.
- The Internet is very slow.
I climbed the stairs and arrived in my room; a very bizarre room, the strangest decor I’ve seen, white inside out, clothes and fabrics, a tiny little computer screen used as a television and a bathroom with a strange wooden door. Two crystal chandeliers pending from the ceiling make this space look like a room in scary movies.
A tight shower, a small bathroom, that unpleasant door and now was sleep time! Harder than the floor itself, I couldn’t sleep all night waking up by the hour; that bed defies the original concept of a bed which was created to relax your body and back. Thin pillows not even supporting your neck, a hard mattress, and thin white fabric to cover your body with. A very unpleasant bed and bad sleep quality.
If I could change something it would be everything; the decor, the lighting, add bed covers, change the mattresses, install new bathroom doors and inform guests when they book about the stairs experience.
Even breakfast is served in a dull, dimmed and dark ambiance! Why is that?
A welcoming and gentle staff but unfortunately not enough for me to repeat the experience.