The experiences in Alger have been worse one than the other until we landed at Le Tantra. This fine restaurant everybody in the country talks about. Located just next to La Veranda, in the same area of premium restaurants, Le Tantra has lots to offer. A good first impression, a nice entrance and a beautiful restaurant that is just soothing and relaxing. Finally!
As soon as we sat down, waiters started moving around, preparing and fine tuning the table, its glasses and filling the cups wi water. A Pain au lait and bread basket followed: "I was so touched to taste true fine bread in here. Didn't imagine it existed in Alger". Accompanied by two plates of anchovies and michwiya, I knew that we were getting pampered tonight.
A beautiful restaurant:
- A soft musical mix plays discreetly in the background
- A three level space make the restaurant look bigger and cosy at the same time
- Tis restaurant is wide and well lit. Relaxing for the eyes
- A general white ambiance. White tables, white walls and a white ceiling
- Red lamps decorate the walls adding the only touch of colour. Simplicity is key at Le Tantra
- At the entrance is a table in the middle displaying alcohol bottles
- A desk welcomes you. Behind is a smiling host making sure you have a reservation
- Grey chairs with their black wooden support
- Cristal chandeliers pens majestically from the ceiling
- An outside terrace is the perfect choice for summer
The menu choices:
- Cold Starters
- Hot Starters
- Beef, Poultry
We ordered tonight:
- Raviol a l'encre de seiche: five pieces, well presented, Parmesan on top in an orange sauce. A great plate indeed even though the pasta is a bit undercooked
- Seafood salad with truffle oil, pumpkin seeds, salmon, calamari, green lettuce, Thon fresh: Fresh and generous, the mix of ingredients is a success
- Crevettes panes are fresh, crunchy and served in a sweet sauce
- Scallops are just great: two pices, deposited in the middle of a white plate with no sophistication
- Merou au four carotte a la cardamome, beurre a l'orange et gingembre with two shrimps on top. This is a plate filled with a certain finess found in hgh end restaurants. The grouper with all the sauces and aromas added to it is juicy and very tasty. Congrats.
- Tagliatelle Tantra: tomato, black olives, shrimps, scallops, white fish, calamar. Very generous, the pasta was tasty but would have been better if cooked a bit less. It seems they need some mastering of the pasta cooking time at Tantra. Some are overcooked and others undercooked. But the overall rating of this dish is good. You feel the richness of the fish pieces and their freshness.
- Chocolate fondant: Simply Wow! Impressively mouthwatering. All of the square is melting and tasty at the same time. A fine dark chocolate flavour that is not bitter nor creates acid burns
The little details I loved:
- Superb table setup with beige table cloth, two cups (water and wine) and large white plates
- Cristal ashtrays, not the cheap stainless ones
- Round and square tables depending on the client's preference
- Many candles chandeliers here and there add a touch to the fine decoration
- Classy curtains with their flower motifs make the restaurants look majestic
- The waiters clothes are nice: Blue and burgundy shirts with white neck collars and decorated with ties. The head waiters are wearing black smokings
- Table was cleaned from all debris before dessert was served
- Dessert is superb. Bravo.
- It's not pleasant to be asked by the waiter who ordered what. We were only four persons. A simple note while taking the order would have added this small touch of professionalism
- Between the sharing bites and appetisers, the dirty cutlery was deposited back on the white table and not changed. Wrong! It would have cost nothing to be changed. We are not in a diner here.
- I loved the box used to present the cheque but not the handwritten cheap piece of paper inside. Is it a stinginess not to buy a computer or a way to escape taxes and writing things by hand?
- Waiters, clean your shirts more often. They looked dirty
Some little tiny things here and there and this restaurant can reach high grounds. Decent food, a beautiful place, a professional staff and a welcoming ambiance is all what a customer needs to visit back. All are found at Le Tantra.