CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Dim Sum et Noodles Bar at the Lafayette Gourmet, Paris
A Night at Lafayette...
Lafayette Gourmet: Paris' Food Extravaganza
Lafayette Gourmet Paris: A Unique Food Experience
Lafayette Gourmet Paris: A Haven for Foodies
How many times have I passed in front of the Petrossian stand - which is known to have the world’s best Caviar - without stopping? How many times has my mouth watered in front of the salmon display which I thought was only for takeaway. Today, spending the day at Lafayette Gourmet, I planned to have lunch at Petrossian. From Caviar to salmon, Russian salad and Tarama, the menu is inspired by traditional Russian specialities.
The Petrossian legend began back in 1920. In the beginning, there was only caviar, but later in the thirties came the legendary smoked salmon, then the caviar after World War II, and the Red King Crab. All meticulously prepared for the ever renewed pleasure of Petrossian's prestigious customers. Since then, from Paris to New York, Petrossian's caviar stands as an elegant icon and ambassador of real luxury. And Petrossian's name continues to celebrate its particular art de Vivre, founded on authenticity, excellence and conviviality.
Behind the gourmet display choose to sit at the bar or on one of the round tables. Blue is the color, Petrossian written in red, white table napkins and silverware; I was ready to order.
On the menu:
- Salmon plate
- Salmon eggs
- Russian salad with crab
- Salmon filet
- Smoked scallops
- Foie gras
- Le Caviar Baika
- Le caviar Daurenki
- Le caviar Ossetra
- Le caviar Béluga
- Croque monsieur au caviar
I ordered a selection of several appetizers, smoked salmon, and caviar! Vodka is a must to drink.
Pleasant attentiveness from the staff, a smiley waitress, but honestly a lack of know-how for an upmarket place offering plates at 18€ and above. Four of the plates were not on today’s menu and when asking why the menu is called Zakouski, the answer was “I don’t know, but I can ask”.
A gourmet royal lunch:
- Smoked salmon: high quality where the fat is balanced and salt is just right. Thick cuts of salmon, fine gourmet salmon far from the ones we buy at the supermarket. Petrossian salmon is an experience.
- The Russian salad with crab feels like canned food. Diced vegetables with mayonnaise and a decoration of crab. The toast and crab are the main tasty ingredients of this salad. I found the vegetables warm and too creamy.
- Pirojki is about three tasteless bites of puff pastry, one with cheese, one with spinach and one with meat. These nonsense bites are served with sucrine lettuce on the side covered with a salty sauce. Surely not worth 18€.
- Tarama is a must try if you like Tarama. Tarama is the smoked eggs of cod with olive oil and milky cream. It’s a creamy mix with a lemony end-note and a taste of the sea with hints of salt.
Best for last:
Baika Royal caviar comes from the best French, Chinese and Italian farms. This caviar has a fragile texture, with small, firm roe that separates with ease. They are dark in color and offer a clean taste from the start, opening up the taste buds to a dominant fruity flavor, followed by beautiful mineral notes, on a very discreet taste of the sea. This caviar is perfect for an aperitif or appetizer. Lay it on your tongue and understand the price asked. Caviar makes you travel around the globe and back, it makes you feel food, understand the work of nature... caviar is to food what diamonds are to women. No blini needed, no add-on, no lemon... nothing shall alternate the taste of his dream! Lay it on your palate, let it run around your mouth, push it up your palate... Oh My Goodness, this is literally the best thing I’ve ever tasted and yet it’s not even the most expensive quality.
Bad and extremely slow service, average salads and sides but wait until you’ve had the real deal. Some of the best salmon I’ve ever had, a unique Tarama and caviar that will make you dream. An experience... more of a journey... it’s memorable!