CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Sandwiched: Delicious Diner Food and a Mouthwatering Chocolate Cake
Sandwiched... Bewitched by a Sandwich and a Mouthwatering Dessert
Sandwiched: Is This Food for Real?! Amazing to Say the Least
Two years have passed since I last visited Sandwiched, a diner nestled on Jounieh's interior road offering a selection of delicious sandwiches and burgers. The menu has changed but the decor is still the same. I love how this place is simple and unpretentious; it has a Lebanese touch without being complicated like some others. I feel good in here.
I remember enjoying good food at Sandwiched... today was even better than I expected!
Professional and welcoming staff, positive vibes, nice atmosphere… I was so hungry that I couldn't think about anything other than food. I had two appetisers, a light sandwich, the famous Sloppy Joe and a special pork sandwich.
On the menu you find everything you would expect from an American diner. Sandwiched now invites us to "Wish for more". The menu includes: refreshing salads, 'Appealing Starters', tortillas, sharing rolls, 'Agreeable Frenchies', hot and juicy sandwiches, 'Toasted Delights', burgers, a light section and their famous desserts.
I sat on the couch while my mouth started watering... hearing the frying and sizzling sounds coming from the kitchen didn't help! A jar used as a cup for your soft drink, newspapers printed on the place mats, pop hits playing in the background, a wall of exposed bricks and an open kitchen. A nice place for lunch.
Let's enjoy some delectable appetizers:
- Yummy mozzarella sticks like no one else does them. They don't feel frozen, they don't feel machine made, they don't feel commercial. Super melted mozzarella embraced by a robe of crunchy flakes. As salty as it should be, warm and soft, enjoyably oily and full flavored mozzarella - not synthetic cheese. No sauce needed to enjoy such delicious offerings. I really loved them and as far as I can remember, they are the best I've had in town.
- Spicy fries: Waw... how easy it is to turn a plate of normal French fries into a mouth watering delight. A spicy gravy in which large chunks of deeply fried potatoes bathe, decorated with melted cheese, a bowl of refreshing sour cream and sliced jalapeños. Bravo!
Main plates are even better:
- Honey mustard chicken roll: served like maki rolls on a black board, the rolls are really breathtaking. We looked at each other and said: waw! Lightly sweet barbecue chicken, honey mustard sauce, crispy bacon, melted Monterey cheese and toasted flat bread. I don't have the words to fully describe them. I was positively surprised...
- What the F… is this sandwich! Super duper extremely juicy tuna sandwich that brings an immediate smile to your face. Bite into the most moist of sandwiches, the richest of them for sure; tuna with ginger and carrots. There's a blast of carrot juice and ginger that explodes with every bite. Cocktail sauce adds the necessary sweetness.
- The Texas Pork includes an amazing sauce but I'd surely cut the tomatoes thinner, marinate the meat for a more tender feel and remove the sesame from the bread.
- The Sloppy Joe: OMG!!!!!! It's not the Sloppy Joe you read about in books or see on Google but an impressive signature sandwich you'll want to try today! Buttered and lightly toasted pain de mie stuffed with a load of barbecue sauce and ketchup, melted cheese and a thick, very thick burger patty. So juicy, so enjoyable... heavy but I like it this way. The spiciness caressing your lips, the sauces splashing on your cheeks... loved it!
- Amazing fries. Thick and soft.
It's my kind of real American diner food, as fatty as it should be, as loaded with flavor as you expect it to be, while being perfectly prepared with love and utmost know how. When you want to let go and be happy... it's where you should be going!
And the Earth stopped turning… What is this?! A huge piece of chocolate cake that's surely not from planet Earth. Honestly...it's heaven on a plate. A triangular shaped cake covered with a dark chocolate sauce floating on three layers of sponge cake separated one from the other by melted milk chocolate sauce similar to Nutella. Ease the fork down through it until it touches the plate and make sure to have a mouthful of all the layers combined. As your tongue feels the different textures and different flavors, you start feeling heaviness along your eyes as they close all by themselves. Make sure not to moan too loudly...! An interesting sponginess, a lovely sweetness, a condensed richness and a cake that definitely is one of the best 10 desserts you can get in Lebanon. It's even better than the one I had two years ago; heated differently, thicker and richer. Ten thumbs up for this... because two are not enough!
Amazed... I left amazed and extremely happy!