The story started when I received a message on Instagram... "we know you are around, please pass by for a bite!" Things became more exciting when I walked into this big and relaxing space decorated with hundreds of whisky, wine and beer bottles... a cafe, a liquor shop or a restaurant, I was lost and loving it!
Proudly owned by a Lebanese person and managed by another, Soma is your unconventional restaurant and coffee place serving you from 7am onwards, selling an extensive collection of whiskies by the bottle to go and wine by the glass for in-house consumption.
Jazz music playing in the background, calm and serene, a space oozing positive vibes, dimmed lighting as if it was a bar but with fresh turquoise accents throughout to lift my morning. Lots of wood, bricks and metal. Step in to check out the whisky collection, browse three hundred beer choices, have a drink and enjoy eating some amazing creations!
A memorable breakfast: oh my God the food is outstanding! Super duper tasty food yet simple and soothing... comfort food created with such love and attention to detail that it makes you wonder if it’s real or not!
- Oatmeal... me enjoying a bowl of oatmeal, I never imagined it; slow cooked oatmeal sweetened lightly with honey and topped with house-made granola and fresh fruits. A simple bowl covered with fresh red fruits and granola which hides a heart of hot sweet oatmeal... addictive oatmeal because I couldn’t stop! Let in linger on your tongue, crunch the granola, feel the honey... bravo!
- Yogurt, what can I say, it’s not just any yogurt, it’s literally one of the best I’ve had for years! Red fruits, crunchy granola, light sweet honey and yogurt that’s neither sweet nor acidic, but balanced and beautifully in sync with the rest of the bowl.
The serious stuff:
- It looks like a normal sandwich; two round slices of bread laid on a wooden board. I took a minute to appreciate this sandwich’s content, the airy bread, the aromatic boost of yellow sauce, the thickly cut fresh red tomatoes, the thinly sliced cucumbers and the mix of greens... and they exploded in my mouth! A fine salmon coupled with wasabi cream that gives this huge flavor boost while the fresh vegetables come to perfect this simple creation. The bread quality and texture, the salmon's smoothness, the unique sauce! Yummy...
- Eggs, as simple as an egg sandwich can be, ciabatta bread stuffed with scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese... but it’s not simple at all! Moist eggs loaded with flavors, maple infused crispy bacon, melted American cheese and garlic spiced aioli sauce; yes, garlic, but even I didn’t notice it! A dream sandwich, a one of a kind creation made of simple ingredients cooked with love. I felt this love, I felt life between two slices of bread.
- When you stuff thickly cut ham with melted gruyère cheese and a sunny side up fried egg inside a toasted ciabatta spread with mustard you get this! You get one hell of a sandwich you’ll want to order every single morning. Wow! I’m not sure if I’m able to express myself well enough... I’ve really, really enjoyed my food this morning.
Ok, too many emotions... I have to calm down - I said to myself... but I couldn’t! The pumpkin spice cream cheese muffin is so good and to be enjoyed to the max! The cookie baked without eggs, sprinkled with sea salt and stuffed with molten chocolate chips is surely not one of this world’s creations! After notes of flavor continued playing around my mouth for five long minutes... I wished I could stay here all day...
Before I knew it time had advanced onto lunch. I had the turkey meatloaf; with Indian spices, peppadew peppers, arugula and aioli spread. This sandwich is all about a very thick really good and juicy slice of meat stuffed into a sandwich with lots of arugula and lots of sauce. It’s good, it’s really good... this place that looks like an upscale coffee shop has unexpectedly superb sandwiches.
Try the salads! The baked salmon green goddess is phenomenal! Baked salmon marinated in oriental spices, ripe avocados, cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced cucumbers, shredded carrots, mixed greens, baby kale and romaine with a creamy basil dressing. Fresh vegetables with this big fillet of salmon that melts under your teeth like butter. These guys know exactly what they’re doing!
The slow roasted lamb sandwich is recommended! House roasted lamb shoulder with dates and almond relish, arugula and mayonnaise in a ciabatta bread. The lamb so so tender, the bread is so fresh, the spices are so balanced... I loved it!
Came here with low expectations, or to be more specific not knowing exactly what to expect from this restaurant with no obvious culinary identity. When you come here, explore the beer fridges, listen to the music, meet the staff, eat the food... you’ll get attached!
Soma is a must try!