Occupying the corner street is a bakery with a black facade. Without a signboard at sight, you will spot Tartine from far as you see a long line of people just waiting to enjoy breakfast. A popular place, Tartine is worth waiting in line for.
Walk into a simple place. It’s nothing fancy: Wood flooring, black columns, and white walls, two fans, a long counter where food is displayed and another for the drinks... Behind the counter is a kitchen running at full speed.
Approach the door and be welcomed the fresh smell of bread and butter. I was so hungry and wanted to to grab everything at site! Fifteen minutes later it was my time to order. I wanted to try everything but I had to choose.
Frangipane Tart, Chocolate Hazelnut Tart, croissants, Lemon Cream Tart, Devil's Food Cake, Double Pain au Chocolat, Frangipane Croissant and many others.
The wonderful experience:
- I enjoyed a Croque Monsieur like I've never had it before, a pain de campagne topped with melted cheese, tomato slices and thick ham, a sandwich flavored with a spread of sauce below the ingredients to moisten the bread. A crunchy border, the sandwich is served hot, melted cheese, oil and lots of fat... it's so good! The quality of the ham, the sweetness of the tomatoes, the richness of the cheese...
- Gougère is about a bun, like a ball stuffed with scrambled eggs, gruyère and thyme. The flakiness of the dough, juiciness of the eggs, aromas of thyme, acidity of the cheese; it's so exceptionally good!
- Pain au Chocolat is a dream come true. Extremely buttery, pure ‘beurre’ croissant with a thick crunchy bottom and flaky top. Intensely dark chocolate, a majestic airiness, lightness within the different layers... this is so good despite the burnt taste.
- The Frangipane Brioche is not something you don’t want to miss. A real crunchy tart filled with frangipane (almonds and almond cream) and topped with blueberries. You feel the crunch of almonds, smoothness and juiciness of the frangipane while your teeth travel from a layer to the next.
- Oh my goodness! What the hell is this? The lemon meringue cake is probably the best I've ever had. A super crunchy biscuit filled with flowing lemon cream, so intensely lemony and topped with meringue cream! I have never had anything like it in the whole of Europe!
- Now the pudding, please don't order this! I was not impressed by this sweet brioche bread pudding and scrambled eggs. It is honestly disgusting.
- Chocolate chip scone is well cooked but needs some serious sugar. It's dull!
Amazing flavors one must try when visiting San Francisco. Come here, order a cappuccino, which I loved, the lemon meringue I adored and the chocolate croissant that made my heart skip a beat. I'm sure they also serve other great things. Tartine is where I'm coming back next time I visit San Francisco.