Bahrain is becoming a Gulf hub catering to Asian destinations. So if you happen to be flying via Manama, you'll know what to expect. One single terminal building hosting 36 gates - 1 to 36.
Bahrain International Airport is an airport located in Muharraq, an island on the Northern tip of Bahrain, about 7 km northeast of the capital Manama. It is the primary hub for Gulf Air. A $300 million expansion and refurbishment program was launched in the third quarter of 2006 which will see the creation of a new multi-storey car park and retail complex adjacent to the main terminal building. The expansion also includes a full resurfacing of the main runway, a new perimeter fence, state-of-the-art security systems and additional aircraft parking bays. Runway 12R/30L is mostly used as a taxiway.
In 2010, Bahrain Airport was named as the winner of the Best Airport in the Middle East Award at the Skytrax 2010 World Airport Awards.
When you reach Bahrain, the odds are you will possibility be transferred to the terminal by bus as their terminal cannot answer to the expanding demand of today's travelers. We accessed the terminal by sky tunnel once out of four times. After walking a short distance along the corridors of the gates, you reach the security checkpoint, where two lines await. The fast track and normal snakelike entrance. Choose one according to your ticket and wait to be searched.
After passing this important part you'll be welcomed into the duty free where you can go either right or left. To the left are gates 1 to 14 and to the right are gates 15 to 36. I would recommend you chose the opposite side of your gate to start with, and discover the terminal then take the right side and choose a cafe to stay at.
To the left appears the main shopping area of perfumes, cosmetics, cigarettes, alcohol and confectionery as well as the Bahrain lottery displaying two cars at least.
Shops and Services available in the terminal:
- Al Bader Traveling & Tours
- Al Mannai International Tourism
- World Travel Services
- Algosaibi Travel Agency
- Kanoo Travel Agency
- Landmark Travel
- House of Travel
- Dadabhai Travel
- Bahrain International Travel
- Ahli United bank
- Bahrain Financing Company
- Caravan Group Of Hotels
- Al Hilal bookshop
- Bahrain Duty Free (Casa Del Habano Cigars, Al Rifai nuts, The Cellar wine shop)
- Costa Coffee
- Dairy Queen
- Papa John's
- Romanos Macaroni Grill
- Habara Irish Pub Int
- Gloria Jeans Coffees
- Magic Corn
- I Drive
- Bahrain Limo
- Al Kobaisi
- U Drive
- Europcar Hiring
- Limousina W.L.L
- Bin HIndi Transport
- Gulf car hire
- Bahrain Hertz
Details to look out for:
- Beware. It is very cold around the airport
- The terminal is constituted of two levels
- Right are gates 15-36, the Gulf Air lounge and the restaurants
- Left is 1-14 the pharmacy, Starbucks and some shops
- A long corridor where shops are on one side and benches on another
- A large choice of food, cigars, alcohol, perfumes and much more is available in the main central area
- The airport has smoking rooms
- Their is an Airport Clinic if needed
- A prayer room is also available
Tags: Review Gulf Lounge Air Travel Airport Airplane Airline Skytrax Bahrain detailed report Muharraq