CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Roadster Diner, Lebanon
Roadster Diner, The Latest Updates
Roadster Diner: My Once Favorite Diner Going Down
The Saga of the Roadster's Mushrooms Continues
Starting Your Day with Roadster Diner's Breakfast
Roadster Diner: It's Always Nice to Enjoy the Classics
Roadster Diner: New Menu, Added Choices, Same Taste
Dear Roadster: Wake UP and Smell the Competition!
Roadster's 15th Anniversary Burger: The Route 66
Roadster Diner Menu: 1999 vs 2013, Prices Comparison
Roadster Diner: Upscaling its Burger Choices
Roadster Diner: Trying the Light Section… Beirut City Centre
Roadster CCBe: An Enjoyable Lunch
Roadster's Black Burger is Good!
Roadster's All Fit Menu Reviewed
Roadster Diner: Lunch in Jal El Dib
Down on Bliss, a new restaurant has opened its doors. It's not just any restaurant, but a beautiful art gallery created with finesse and taste. It's the new Roadster, a unique approach to the American diner, a creative space with the same old Roadster's professionalism.
At the start of Bliss, a new center has opened. With a cinema complex and famous restaurant brands, it has added a plus to the street by providing parking spaces and a larger choice of food. Roadster opens up onto the back street as well as the mall entrance and with its two levels the restaurant can welcome up to a hundred guests or more, each occupying their favorite corner.
Enter a large square space, remodeled with unique colors and decorative items we haven't previously experienced at Roadster. A bar occupies the upper level along with another dining area, the private smoking quarters and the balcony.
The restaurant decor:
- At the entrance a vertical sign welcomes you and a large car occupies the left wall.
- One large super big TV occupies the right sided main wall.
- Black and white tables are painted with a reflective material and have a stainless border exactly like oldies diners.
- White leather sofas surround the tables and other brown leather benches on the space's borders.
- The restaurant has two terraces where one can smoke.
- "Together Forever", a huge neon sign brightens up the place.
- Harley Davidson is part of the restaurant.
- Parquet covers the floor on the upper level while grey tiles are used on the lower level, lit by transparent yellow lights that fill up the ceiling.
- Neon lights are everywhere, American diner style.
- The bar is lit with colorful glass with red and white chairs. Benches support its sides.
- Metallic black backlit stars surround the space.
- The best part are the large tables that can fit up to ten people each. They can be separated or put together depending on the need.
- I loved the black brick wall.
The breakfast menu:
- Eggs and omelets
- Rd. Amazing Deal
- Hot drinks
- Cold drinks
- The Rd Deal is a choice of eggs in addition to your choice of pancakes with orange juice and American coffee.
I last tried Roadster's breakfast a long time ago and remember not having a very good experience. Roadster then stopped serving breakfast in their branches, until Bliss opened. With thousands of students coming in and out of AUB campus, breakfast was added to the menu.
Breakfast was served:
- We started with coffee accompanied by a selection of croissants. The croissants felt light, with a subtle crunch and a fluffy airy touch. Golden on the outside, they are perfectly baked and most importantly generously filled. They're good.
- Goat's cheese sandwich LBP13,250:A sandwich created of a bread that's fluffy with a light crunch without being chewy. Goat's cheese, bits of figs and a gentle sweetness with rocket leaves for a decorative touch.
- Brie sandwich LBP15,750: Pain de Campagne bread toasted to perfection and cut in half, filled with thick Brie cheese, sun-dried tomatoes add juiciness, a crispy apple slice for sweetness, crunchy walnuts for a pleasant texture, and a light sauce for the finesse. I enjoyed the sandwich so much.
- Eggs and Omelet are fine, as good as you'd expect, simply eggs. Served with slices of toasted bread and tomatoes. The tomatoes are too cold and too bulky, I'd grill them a bit to fit with the plate.
- Pancakes LBP7,500 are a disaster: Served warm, even cold, the pancakes are bready, chewy and burned on the sides. A big no – it feels like it was prepared before time and heated… A old French baguette texture.
- After that, I ordered a slice of cake, one carrot cake and one red velvet. They reminded me of Magnolia Bakery's cakes, which I adore. Roadster's are exactly the same and I do recommend them. The fluffy heart they offer, just the right amount of sweetness and richness of ingredients. Amazing cakes I'd come back for especially with a coffee on the early hours of the morning.
My opinion: Located next to Paul and Urbanista, two cafes and breakfast specialists, I'm not sure why would Roadster venture into the breakfast segment, this way. The taste is not the Roadster spirit we have been used to, the place is beautiful, but more for lunch and dinner, prices are a bit expensive for students, the pancakes are far from being acceptable, the choices are average... Breakfast is a greeat idea done differently...
Breakfast is a tower of freshly baked pancakes not two, rivers of maple syrup, grilled bacon, french fries, over dose of melted cheese, waffles… Anything that will add a plus making the experience different from any bakery or cafe around. Roadster is innovation and new trends, just saying.
- Start by lighting the space more. A special music for the morning hours and train the staff to be as happy as a clown can be.
- Cakes are nice but add whipped cream to make the plate look different.
- Croissant should be served with a plate of jam, another of Nutella and butter on the side.
- Pancakes cost nothing, I’ll serve 4 or 6 for a beautifully looking plate.
- Eggs cannot be served on a round white and clean plate. I’d add bacon and melted cheese, butter the bread for a juicier experience and maybe add french fries with them.
- Donuts, doughnuts are must.
- Milkshakes; you can’t name it a diner breakfast without milkshakes.
- Chocolate syrup and maple syrup bottles should be at hand.
- Coffee is open, cups have to be filled without even asking by the minute.
- I’ll serve scrambled eggs on a buttered burger bun with lots of cheese and a grilled tomato.
- The restaurant has no toilets. You have to go up to the first floor and I believe that's an unacceptable thing, exactly like the Beirut City Centre branch.
- The food is good, not great.
- I believe the space is a bit dim for breakfast.