CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Ferdinand: A Gastropub and Tasty Food
Back in November of 2014 the experience started with a smile and ended with one. We were welcomed by the manager who ran to show us around with a huge smile on his face. He even went to get us a San Pellegrino from another restaurant, the one next door called Appetito.
I came back for the burger, back for the chicken sandwich, the amazing bacon rolls and those unmatched positive vibes...
Nestled on Mahatma Ghandi Street, follow the "F" to reach Ferdinand. Small square tiles, dimmed lighting, a brick wall and its decorative red wooden window, leather sofas, a long bar with its high stools, book shelves and lots of candles. I loved the main chandelier of candles at the entrance, a huge chandelier which thousands of candles have already melted on. Look up, their ceiling is nice to look at.
"We want the burger, the chicken sandwich and the bacon rolls to start and maybe something else to try". I was hungry, and more specifically, excited. This gastropub offers a large selection of food including 7 bites, 5 starters, 6 mains, 4 salads and 2 desserts.
Let's have some food:
- Devils on Horseback: Sweet and savory meet. An oven baked prune wrapped in bacon, as simple as that. Seven rolls of bacon lying on a rectangular plate, each around a cooked prune. The sweetness of the prunes, the smoothness of the bacon... That's guaranteed enjoyment. Two thumbs up. An amazing texture of softness and a great taste of professionalism. I loved how they melt in your mouth in style.
- Sloppy Joe: A revisited Sloppy Joe with a touch of finesse taking this sloppy sandwich to a higher level of sophistication. Fried tortilla topped with a potion of ground meat, horseradish and a crunch. Amazing it is.
- Ferdinand Burger: A delicate marriage of flavors indeed. A toasted brioche bun with an in-house blueberry jam sauce, cheddar cheese and bacon strips. That's guaranteed amazement on a plate. It starts when you see the olive platter land in front of you. Just imagine a premium bun, slightly toasted, filled with a ranch sauce, crispy bacon and a hint of sweetness at the end. That's a gourmet burger for sure. I loved the textures, the flavors, the overdose of sauce, the richness... Wonderful. The burger comes with French fries on the side with cheddar cheese on top.
- Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwich: Capturing Louisiana's spirit, this slow 'n low cooked chicken sits on a bed of a smoky coleslaw and French bread. When you say square bread, it's usually chewy French bread, thicker than others. This one is so light, filled with a smooth mix of tender chicken and crunchy coleslaw. Simplicity redefined, if I may say. A perfect sandwich with a hint of enjoyable sweetness.
- The Eggs Benedict burger... Yes, you've heard right, Eggs Benedict in a burger. A thick, juicy 200 grams of meat with hollandaise sauce and a poached egg. Not only that, but the burger comes with bacon, a thick, finely grilled piece of it. It's an overwhelming burger with a hundred flavors combined to amaze. The hollandaise sauce with Ferdinand's exceptional meat and the bacon with a hint of spiciness that leaves a long lasting flavor puts a smile on your face for the rest of the night. Bravo chef, bravo.
- I loved the spirit.
- I loved the ambiance.
- I loved the simplicity of the decor.
- The food is divine.
- The kitchen is a bit slow.
- Smoking is allowed inside and it's unacceptable in 2015 specially that ventilation is bad.
Ferdinand doesn't cease to amaze me.