CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Casper&Gambini's has a new menu. I know what you’re thinking… The new menu has been out a while, but I personally discovered it today. The reason is that I have been avoiding C&G for a while now, after a series of bad experiences encountered at some of their branches…Bad sushi at Beirut Souks, disastrous salads at ABC Achrafieh...
But like everything, a second chance is a must... I thought it was about time to go and give it a try one more time… and let me tell you how happy I am… I have regained my trust in them again...
- Starters and sides
- House made soups
- Garden salads
- Bread and spreads
- Handcrafted burgers
- Traditional pizza
- Pasta and risotto
- Sushi and rolls
- House specials
- Signature desserts
- Wines and spirits
The sushi menu:
- 15 different choices of maki rolls
- 2 salads
Our lunch experience started the minute a professional waiter approached our table. The order was taken quickly as the waiter recommended some items on the menu, suggested a few items to share while setting the table in minutes.
Lunch started with C&G’s signature labneh-like dip served in olive oil, along side a brown bag of bread, including various types of bread like Grissini, toasted Zaatar bread and fluffy buns. I l enjoyed them.
- Let’s start with a portion of lightly salted Edamame served with soy sauce on the side. A bit al dente, but good enough for a positive start.
- The Crab and Avocado Salad LBP24,500: Perfectly marinated crab sticks with fresh avocado pieces cut in quarters served on a bed of mixed greens, roquette leaves, cherry tomatoes for the color touch with a saffron vinaigrette dressing. Although, as a first impression, the crabsticks are way too small and unappetizing to look at, but their taste is good, the salad is fresh and the sauce is exquisite. I loved it!
- Provolone Steak Sandwich LBP27, 750: It’s a piece of eye candy. Fully loaded with slow grilled, super tender certified Australian beef, fluffy toasted Ciabatta alongside smoked bacon and melted provolone cheese and some vegetables. Crisp lettuce, tomato that adds juiciness and a bit of sweetness while a spread of horseradish mayo moistens the bun. A lovely classy and delicious sandwich I really appreciated. With the sandwich, comes a cup of fried potatoes, which will put a smile on your face.
Now let’s try C&G sushi: 18 pieces for LBP58, 500, which is $2,2 a piece - reasonably priced.
- I'm sure and a hundred percent sure that the sushi I tried here last year was prepared by a completely different chef, or the fish was from a different supplier... I don’t know. But what I do know is that sushi served today was great. A crunchy envelope, perfectly cooked rice, generous fish content and definitely prepared upon ordering – I didn’t feel the coldness that comes with served right “out of the fridge” experience.
- The presentation is great and neat, while the pieces are perfect in size and very flavorful. I'm impressed! I'm even shocked!
- C&G rolls, served warm are exceptional. The tempura shrimps, the panko crisps, the mayo sauce... Bravo! Flying salmon, as simple as it should be, are so juicy and tasteful. I don’t need to add more details are needed to describe the experience… Everything was really good and trust me, and I’m not easy to please.
- Crispy Salmon LBP24,750: A mountain of diced salmon topped on crab sticks with a load of crisps on the top. The salmon is fresh and tasty, an enjoyable spiciness, crunchy bits on a bed of crab sticks which blend well together. The best part is that it’s light. The mayonnaise mix is not heavy at all. Yum!
- Staff is professional and well trained
- All details are carefully taken care of
- Food is tasty
- Generous plates
In my books, C&G is back with a new menu and better food for sure… I'm surely coming back to try all of the other items on the menu.